The Most Memorable Nail Trends of 2011
- Next1 of 19Glo
- Previous Next2 of 19Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 19Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 19Noel Vasquez/Getty Images for Extra
- Previous Next5 of 19John Shearer/Getty Images for Gigantic
- Previous Next6 of 19Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next7 of 19Steve Granitz/WireImage
- Previous Next8 of 19Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
- Previous Next9 of 19Jason LaVeris/FilmMagic
- Previous Next10 of 19Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 19Steve Granitz/WireImage
- Previous Next12 of 19Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 19Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 19Christopher Polk/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 19Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic
- Previous Next16 of 19John Shearer/WireImage
- Previous Next17 of 19Glo
- Previous Next18 of 19Michael Kovac/WireImage
- Previous Next19 of 19Michael Kovac/WireImage
Nails_122011_v31 of 19
Over The Moon2 of 19
Fashionistas embraced this sophisticated alternative to the traditional French manicure, with the moons painted a lighter shade than the rest of the nails. (DIYers swear by reinforcement stickers to create the perfect shape.)
Instant Classic3 of 19
The sleek black and silver combo on Lake Bell's nails pairs perfectly with a simple black dress (in a slightly shimmery fabric) and minimal makeup.
Flower Power4 of 19
Major cosmetic brands introduced playful polish strips in leopard prints, lace and more. Here, Sally Hansen Nail Polish Strips in Flower Girl were a relatively subtle choice for this pop star.
Pretty In Punk5 of 19
A strip of blue-ish hair helps Katy Perry keep her edge in this feminine and flirty look.
Looking Sharp6 of 19
The popular rounded, square and "squoval" shapes of yesteryear gave way to this trend from the runway: long, cat-like nails in neutral flesh tones.
Meow!7 of 19
A nude lip and sex kitten hair help Fergie crate an overall look that's seductive yet understated.
Femme Fatalons8 of 19
The reverse French combined with tips filed to a point gave cherry red nails a modern update.
Vintage Vixen9 of 19
Inspired by the red nails of the 1940s, this new trend is a perfect match for anyone with a penchant for all things past—like the retro-loving Dita Von Teese.
One Of A Kind10 of 19
Polishing a single nail a different shade from the rest became an easy way to make statement with your mani.
Boho Sheen11 of 19
Shimmery shadow and an eclectic assortment of jewels add to the free-spirited feel of Vanessa Hudgens' look. (To get her gunmetal mani, paint on OPI Nail Lacquer in Lucern-tainly Look Marvelous.)
Picture Perfect12 of 19
Customized nail decals and stickers made for a whole new form of self-expression. (Click here to search for personalized stickers of your own.)
Romantic Moment13 of 19
An in-love Nikki Reed opted for a modern goddess 'do and Grecian baubles to complement the nails she'd adorned with fiance Paul McDonald's face.
Orange Crush14 of 19
With Pantone naming Tangerine Tango as the color of the year for 2012, you can expect lots of lacquers in the bright juicy hue. (For a shade like this celeb's, try Chanel Le Vernis in June.)
Fresh Squeezed15 of 19
Yes, you can match your dress to your polish, as Beyoncé did in her juicy orange ensemble.
Twinkle, Twinkle16 of 19
Rich jewel tones (including onyx!) helped give glittery nails a grown-up look. (For nails like these, check out Orly Nail Color Androgynie.)
The Glitterati17 of 19
Take it from the always-stylish Zoe Saldana: A rich berry lip and fun updo are a chic way to finish off this fashion-forward trend.
Black Out18 of 19
For luxe nails without the glitter, solid high-gloss black (like Butter London Lacquer in Union Jack Black) became the new standard in elegance.
Glamour Girl19 of 19
Seen here on Ali Larter, dramatic cocktail rings add a pop of color to short, shiny black nails.
NEXT ON GLO: A Look Back at the Most Memorable Hair of 2011