21 Days of Trendy Hairstyles
- Next1 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next2 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next3 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next4 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next5 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next6 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next7 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next8 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next9 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next10 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next11 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next12 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next13 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next14 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next15 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- Previous Next16 of 16Jacqueline Bates for ELLE
- 21 Days of Trendy Hairstyles9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Try It On1 of 16
By Kristen Shirley for ELLE
"Can a self-proclaimed novice break her single-style rut and create three weeks of head-turning hair?" That's the question ELLE asked of fashion assistant Kristen Shirley. Here's a look at the results as she tries out the newest trends. -Glo
Day 12 of 16
I’m not usually experimental when it comes to my hair. I know what I like, and I like straight. My hair is naturally curly, so I’m a slave to the flatiron, but I stick with what I think looks best on me.
Time: 25 minutes* Tools: CHI 1" Ceramic Flat Iron
* Washing and drying time not included.
Day 23 of 16
Ashley Olsen or Prohibition flapper? Maybe neither, but I get so many compliments on my jeweled headband that I calculate how often I can wear it without overwearing it—math usually reserved for my favorite handbag. Maybe I can get into this hair thing after all.
Time: 6 minutes Tools: Jennifer Behr Braided Headwrap
Day 34 of 16
At L’Wren Scott, Odile Gilbert dusted colorful eye shadow in each model’s part, so I do the same, dabbing a shadow brush dipped in loose powder along the line for instant funkiness. As expected, I get awkward looks on the subway.
Time: 10 minutes Tools: Make Up For Ever Star Powder in Celadon
Day 45 of 16
Clip in these fun colorful streaks and you’ll forget they’re even there—until your coworker asks if you’re dealing with suppressed teenage angst. For the record, I’m not.
Time: 1 minute Tools: Put On Pieces 16" Color Strips in Red
ON ELLE: Best Products for Your Hair
Day 56 of 16
A classic French twist is pretty and sophisticated, but too bridal for every day.
Time: 10 minutes Tools: Scünci Bobby Pins
ON ELLE: Best Celebrity Hairstyles
Day 67 of 16
The Givenchy-inspired pigtails are a far cry from my grade school go-to, but my friend’s Little House on the Prairie jokes get old fast. Tip: Back-comb hair for extra texture before starting the braids.
Time: 15 minutes Tools: John Frieda Luxurious Volume Bountiful Body Mousse
Day 78 of 16
The slick Gucci chignon is a chic alternative to an everyday ballerina bun—and just as easy. Create a low pony, divide hair into two sections, twist each, and then twist together, letting the hair coil. Pin down and you’re out the door.
Time: 2 minutes Tools: Goody hair tie and pins
Day 89 of 16
I loved the sweet, whimsical braids seen at Erdem, but my at-home attempt was too milkmaid. I book an emergency appointment at my salon on my way to a wedding, and the handiwork of hairstylist Fabrice Gili is perfect: Downtown Girl Does Garden Party.
Time: 5 minutes Tools: Fabrice Gili of Frédéric Fekkai Salons
Day 910 of 16
I have major ScarJo envy. Her bob has me pondering a cut, but for now, a faux bob will do. Divide hair in half horizontally, securing the bottom length at the nape, and repeat with the top section. Loosen front pieces if you wish.
Time: 5 minutes Tools: Scünci Bobby Pins
Day 1011 of 16
Whatever you’re probably thinking when you see this picture is the reaction I received. (“Umm...what is that?”) My response—“It’s Alexander Wang, people!”—didn’t seem to clear up the confusion. File this under Never Again.
Time: 5 minutes Tools: Bumble and bumble Hair Powder in White
Day 1112 of 16
I have a new appreciation for the headband. Running late with no time for an elaborate style, I grab a silk scarf and tie it at the nape of my neck. I’m digging the retro vibe, and it adds a pop of color to my black outfit.
Time: 30 seconds Tools: My own silk scarf
Day 1213 of 16
A forecast of rain drains all motivation to style my hair, so I embrace my natural ringlets and let them air-dry. Wow, that was easy. “It’s so pretty!” says one coworker with pin-straight, frizz-free strands. The grass is always greener, right?
Time: 1 minute Tools: Kérastase Nutritive Oléo-Curl Mist
Day 1314 of 16
Soft waves are always in style, so I divide my hair into small sections and grab my curling iron. The curls quickly fall, most likely because I straightened my hair first to nix frizz, but I’m happy with the subtle movement they create.
Time: 12 minutes Tools: Hot Tools 1" curling iron
Day 1415 of 16
The beachy-boho scarf-braid from my fave Hermès ad is so chic—great for an upcoming weekend trip to Miami. I give the look a test run, securing a fabric scarf to the base of a low ponytail and using it as one of the three braid sections. So simple, but best saved for vacation.
Time: 5 minutes Tools: My own scarf
Day 1516 of 16
A heavy fringe is so rock ‘n’ roll, but so high-maintenance. Luckily, clip-in bangs are simple, and as long as you can find them in a perfectly matching shade, nearly foolproof.
Time: 20 seconds Tools: HairDo Dancing With the Stars Bango Tango Bangs
For the rest of the Trendy Hairstyles, click here