Super low-maintenance glamour
- Next1 of 9Costello Tagliapietra Spring 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 9Courtesy of MAC
- Previous Next3 of 9Courtesy of Giorgio Armani
- Previous Next4 of 9Courtesy of Erno Lazlo
- Previous Next5 of 9Courtesy of Giorgio Armani
- Previous Next6 of 9Courtesy of MAC
- Previous Next7 of 9Courtesy of Urban Decay
- Previous Next8 of 9Courtesy of Sephora
- Previous Next9 of 9Courtesy of Pixi
- Super low-maintenance glamour9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Natural Woman1 of 9
By Melissa Magsaysay
Achieving the no-makeup look should, in theory, be as effortless as the results appear, but the techniques are trickier than applying a face full of greasepaint. Getting neutral tones and sheer makeup to define features and highlight the face effectively requires attention to the right areas as well as choosing the best tones for your skin. Here's how to refine your look without appearing overdone.
Frame Work2 of 9
"For women who want the 'no makeup' makeup look, it's all about the details," says makeup artist Craig Beaglehole. He stresses the importance of having immaculately groomed eyebrows—all stray hairs plucked, and the brow shaped into a natural arch—to help define the eyes and frame the face. His favorite neutral shade for filling in the brows of most women is Embark by MAC, which he applies with a simple, slanted brush.
SHOP NOW: MAC Embark eyeshadow, $15
Prime Time3 of 9
Next to defined, yet not overdone eyebrows, Beaglehole feels that radiant skin is the key to a natural look. For skin with a perfectly sheer finish, he turns to foundations with a luminescent base or a tinted moisturizer. "I love Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation. It can be used sparingly for a light, luminous glow or more heavily if more coverage is required."
SHOP NOW: Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk foundation, $59
Neutral Zone4 of 9
Even a woman who prefers to go light on products will do what it takes to avoid having her face become an oil slick. This cult-classic product tames oily skin while keeping acne at bay. Simply shake the formula until it becomes a cloudy, nude color and apply it to the face with a cotton pad. Skin is left with an even, natural color and clean matte finish, perfect for oilier complexions that don’t do well with a dewy foundation formula.
SHOP NOW: Erno Laszlo Shake-It tinted treatment sheer balancing color, $39
Sheer Genius5 of 9
"A sheer blush in rose or peach on the apples of the cheeks makes a huge difference," says Beaglehole. "Giorgio Armani Sheer Blush is possibly the most beautiful sheer powder and effectively gives just a hint of defining color." He also suggests Nars blush in Deep Throat and Outlaw as being a great pick for women of most skin tones who are seeking a natural color. Make sure to hit the apples of the cheeks to give face just the right amount of flush.
SHOP NOW: Giorgio Armani sheer blush, $44
Pale Pout6 of 9
Make sure your nude lipstick leaves you looking more Kate Moss than corpse by choosing the right tone for your skin. Beaglehole recommends going with something with a bit of warmth to bring out the natural color in the lips. He often turns to MAC sheer lipstick in Shy Girl, a divine dusty rose that brings a little bit of pink into the skin.
SHOP NOW: MAC lipstick in Shy Girl, $15
Luminous Lacquer7 of 9
If you want to add a hint of sexiness to your look, choose a high-sheen gloss. Whether worn alone or over a nude lipstick, this shimmery one in a neutral tone will add more depth and definition to the lips while keeping your overall palette natural and polished.
SHOP NOW: Urban Decay Lip Junkie lip gloss in Naked2, $19
Crystal Clear8 of 9
"Your eyelash curler is more imperative than ever with lighter colored mascara," says Beaglehole."Curled lashes define eyes best, especially if you're wearing clear mascara. Clear mascara is also fabulous for lightly grooming eyebrows." Of course, the makeup artist adds, "Brown mascara is always a great option for a subtle lash effect without the drama of black."
SHOP NOW: Sephora Collection clear defining mascara, $12
Striking Gold9 of 9
Swipe on a wash of sheer, light-reflecting color to eyelids in order to make eyes pop. Use a golden champagne tone on medium to darker skin and a warm peach shade for lighter skin in order to bring out your natural color. Dab a little into the inside corners of the eyes to brighten and make your peepers pop.
SHOP NOW: Pixi Shade Quartette in Shades of Gold, Shades of Peach and Shades of Nude Pixi, $22 each
- The 20 top celeb-inspired wedding hairdos
- TV Shows That Were Ahead of Their Time
- Bespoke clutches develop a cult-like following
- Fashion Tricks Everyone Should Master
- 12 Ways to Upgrade a Dorm Room
- How to End a Friendship With Class
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession