Beauty Hits & Misses of 2010
- Next1 of 40Steve Granitz/WireImage
- Previous Next2 of 40George Napolitano/WireImage
- Previous Next3 of 40AXELLE/BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM
- Previous Next4 of 40Elsa/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 40Bryan Bedder/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 40Chris Ashford / Camera Press / Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next7 of 40Didier Messens/WireImage
- Previous Next8 of 40Christian Alminana/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 40AXELLE/BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM
- Previous Next10 of 40Jonathan Leibson/FilmMagic
- Previous Next11 of 40RD / Kenney / Retna Digital
- Previous Next12 of 40Martin Roe / Retna Ltd
- Previous Next13 of 40RD / Carnochan / Retna Digital
- Previous Next14 of 40Steve Granitz/WireImage
- Previous Next15 of 40Mike Marsland/WireImage
- Previous Next16 of 40Steve Granitz/WireImage
- Previous Next17 of 40Splash News
- Previous Next18 of 40RD / Kirkland / Retna Digital
- Previous Next19 of 40Dominique Charriau/WireImage
- Previous Next20 of 40RD / Scott Kirkland / Retna Digital
- Previous Next21 of 40Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
- Previous Next22 of 40Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next23 of 40Gustavo Caballero/Getty Images
- Previous Next24 of 40Jill Mayhew/Capital Pictures/ Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next25 of 40RD / Kirkland / Retna Digital
- Previous Next26 of 40Kevin Mazur/WireImage
- Previous Next27 of 40David Livingston/Getty Images
- Previous Next28 of 40AXELLE/BAUER-GRIFFIN.COM
- Previous Next29 of 40Chris Joseph/Capital Pictures/ Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next30 of 40RD / Orchon / Retna Digital
- Previous Next31 of 40Chris Ashford / Camera Press / Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next32 of 40RD / Kirkland / Retna Digital
- Previous Next33 of 40Dominique Charriau/WireImage
- Previous Next34 of 40RD / Kirkland / Retna Digital
- Previous Next35 of 40Andreas Rentz/Getty Images
- Previous Next36 of 40Frederick M. Brown/Getty Images
- Previous Next37 of 40Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next38 of 40Frazer Harrison/Getty Images
- Previous Next39 of 40Phil Loftus/Capital Pictures/ Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next40 of 40Bryan Bedder/WireImage
- Beauty Hits & Misses of 20109 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
HIT: Bold Lips1 of 40
By Abby Gardner
Sandra took home the Oscar looking the picture of beauty perfection. And she started quite the lipstick trend with her Chanel Rouge Coco Lip Colour in Paris. I know I definitely got my hands on a tube, STAT.
SHOP NOW: Hot Pink Lipstick
MISS: Powder Puff2 of 40
Uma's got a serious powder problem — that of the makeup variety. Likely it was translucent when her makeup artist put it on, but the flash of lights made it all too visible. It's a good reminder to always blend, blend, blend.
HIT: Teen Bowl3 of 40
Did anyone's hair have a bigger year than Justin Bieber's? I think not. He even had grown men imitating his brushstrokes.
MISS: Old Bowl4 of 40
Most Super Bowl-winning NFL quarterbacks never have to answer questions about their hair. Tom Brady, however, has spent much of 2010 defending his locks from some major Bieber-themed teasing.
HIT: Neutral Palette5 of 40
The actress and her Mad Men character, Peggy, really came into their own style-wise this season. Elizabeth's neutral-toned makeup shows that subtlety can go just as far as bold can when it comes to a dressy look.
MISS: Tan Overload6 of 40
SJP, please say you haven't fallen victim to the Hollywood trend of over-self-tanning too? Stay true to your NYC roots and embrace the pale again. Or maybe just choose a more subtle shade.
SHOP NOW: Best Self-Tanners
HIT: Pretty Ponytail7 of 40
The Twilight star and her hairstylist, Ted Gibson, really knocked it out of the park every time she stepped onto a red carpet. Of all her gorgeous looks, this perfect ponytail was my favorite. Simple, chic and easily recreatable at home.
MISS: Bleached Out8 of 40
Dear Mischa: We miss the fresh-faced California beauty you exuded as Marissa Cooper on The O.C. Maybe think about a lighter lip and darker hair?
HIT: Lady Lips9 of 40
Diane's mildly retro waves are complemented perfectly by her deep red lip. This woman almost never makes a beauty or fashion mistake.
SHOP NOW: Red Lipstick
MISS: Faux Monroe10 of 40
Paris will stop at nothing for some extra attention. But this faux Monroe is a total bust and transparent, even for her. Remember, you're always better off embracing your own beauty style.
HIT: Side Braid11 of 40
The side braid had a big year in 2010. The trend actually made its debut in the fall of 2009 at the Alexander Wang runway show. But by early this year celebs like Kate and girls on the street were wearing them all the time.
MISS: Overstyled Ponytail12 of 40
Side ponytails are awesome when done well. See: Stackhouse, Sookie. When they're not, you can end up looking like a bad pageant girl/high school cheerleader. Make it a little messier with fewer ringlets and you'll be good to go.
HIT: Red Hot Hair13 of 40
KStew has never looked better. The reddish hue she chose for her hair, along with that gorgeous front braid, really softens her look. But she stays true to her edgier side with a smoky eye.
SHOP NOW: At-Home Hair Color
MISS: Studded Brows14 of 40
Making a statement is one thing. But there's just no way we can endorse studded brows, a mohawk and black lips. The glitter on the cheeks, however, could be a fun holiday makeup moment.
SHOP NOW: Glitter Makeup
HIT: Good Messy15 of 40
There's always a very fine line between good messy and bad messy. Jessica's hair falls squarely on the good side. Talk about chic bedhead.
MISS: Bad Messy16 of 40
Kate, however lovely she usually is, has taken the messy thing a wee bit too far. Just a few more styling products might have been necessary here.
HIT: Sleek Cut17 of 40
When Cate showed up at the Tonys with a new cropped 'do, the beauty world collectively swooned. Another nice touch: Her silver eye shadow matches her space-age Armani suit.
SHOP NOW: Silver Eye Shadow
MISS: Too Much Bun18 of 40
I went back and forth about putting this updo on the list, and not just because I'm a huge Mindy Kaling fan. I liked that she took a risk, but I think I'm alone in that as the 'do was largely panned.
HIT: Warmed Up Color19 of 40
Clémence Poésy had been a dirty blonde for quite a while, until she showed up at the Chanel show with this rich, but still sunny, brown shade. Upgrade!
MISS: Over-the-Top Color20 of 40
The pop star really likes to make some out-there statements with her beauty choices. So was this one something related to beautiful alien visitors?
SHOP NOW: Wigs
HIT: Flower Girl21 of 40
No matter how old she is, Keri always looks fresh-faced and glowing. Add in a flowery hair accessory and you've got the perfect warm-weather look.
SHOP NOW: Flower Hair Accessory
MISS: Hidden Hair22 of 40
Even in her most troubled times, Lindsay's always had great hair. And while I personally prefer it in her natural red, there's still no need to hide it under a hood reminiscent of a knight from the Crusades. You should never cover up your best asset!
HIT: Ombre Ringlets23 of 40
Rachel is the queen of the ombre (dark at the top and then gradually getting lighter). And it looks especially fantastic with her big, bouncy curls.
MISS: Big Bouffant24 of 40
To say Katherine Heigl doesn't look like herself here is a true understatement. The dark bouffant hair looks more June Carter Cash than Hollywood starlet. Trying new things is great, but there's such a thing as going too far.
HIT: Mod Makeup25 of 40
Nicole's '60s-inspired mod makeup is spot-on at the Met Ball. Kudos to her makeup artist for making it both retro and modern at the same time.
SHOP NOW: Liquid Eyeliner
MISS: Scary Shadow26 of 40
January Jones, on the other hand, looks a little too scary sci-fi for our liking at the same event, which is basically fashion's biggest night.
HIT: Age-Appropriate Style27 of 40
Little Sally Draper (actress Kiernan Shipka) looks so adorable on the red carpet. Just a hint of gloss and sparkly headband are perfectly age-appropriate dress-up choices.
SHOP NOW: Sheer Lip Gloss
MISS: Trying Too Hard28 of 40
No one can accuse the Smith family of not putting it all out there. But sometimes their looks just feel so forced and unnatural.
HIT: Space Age Chic29 of 40
Gwynnie's giving it her Jetsons-best with this hair, makeup and dress combo. We love when she steps out of her long, loose and natural mode. That high hair is really working for her.
SHOP NOW: Hairspray
MISS: Overdone Makeup30 of 40
Everything about this look is much too much. Big platinum hair, orange self- tanner and super-heavy makeup. We much prefer a more pared-down Christina.
HIT: Bright Lips31 of 40
Spring's biggest lip trend — poppy pink shades — started in no small part due to Maggie G's fuchsia lips at the Academy Awards. They looked perfect with her flowery gown.
SHOP NOW: Fuchsia Lipstick
MISS: Ghostly Shadow32 of 40
No one was happier than I to see Molly Ringwald taking part in the John Hughes tribute at the Oscars. I only wish she had veered away from that ghostly eye makeup and chosen a little bit of color for her lips.
SHOP NOW: Bold Lipstick
HIT: Chic Cuts33 of 40
Drastic haircuts were all the rage with young Hollywood this year. Keira's blunt bob was just one of many that we fell in love with. It plays up her angular cheekbones beautifully.
KEEP CLICKING FOR MORE OF OUR FAVORITE LOOKS OF 2010!
HIT: Amazing Lashes34 of 40
Seeing as Rihanna changes her look on an almost daily basis, it was really hard to pick one favorite. But the shimmery white shadow paired with spidery long lashes is simply breathtaking. Note how she picked a nude lip shade so that it doesn't compete with her eyes.
SHOP NOW: Fake Eyelashes
HIT: Pixie Cut35 of 40
Michelle's hair is our absolute favorite in all of 2010. The color and the cut are, in a word, perfect.
SHOP NOW: Platinum Hair Dye
HIT: Everyday Glam36 of 40
What I love about Zoe's look is that it shows how easily red lips can work with an everyday look. You could recreate this for work any day of the week.
SHOP NOW: Red Lip Gloss
HIT: Diva 'Do37 of 40
It certainly takes a diva to pull off this updo. If you've got the right attitude, you could do it too.
HIT: Bang, Bang38 of 40
The most famous Kardashian doesn't really change up her beauty look very often. So we loved seeing her with full bangs. She, of course, kept her signature glossy nude lip.
SHOP NOW: Nude Lip Gloss
HIT: Dewy Skin39 of 40
While some might focus on Kate's updo (which is lovely), we're transfixed by her radiant skin. Oh to be so dewy!
SHOP NOW: Skin Primer
HIT: Retro Chic40 of 40
Get out the hot rollers! Jessica's retro curls have us seriously contemplating spending some extra time on our locks for a big night out.
SHOP NOW: Styling Gel
- 19 Unusual Beauty Tips That Make Life Easier
- 6 Parties Everyone Should Know How to Throw
- Bespoke clutches develop a cult-like following
- Infidelity Questions With No Easy Answers
- What's Your Living Room Style?
- 13 Most Inspiring Biker Babes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession