The hottest hair and makeup of fall 2012
- Next1 of 15Viktor & Rolf Fall 2012; Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next3 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next4 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next5 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next6 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next7 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next8 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next9 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next10 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next11 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next12 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next13 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next14 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next15 of 15Courtesy of ELLE
- The hottest hair and makeup of fall 20129 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal For Summer
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Best in Show1 of 15
From a flirty pink flush to a bright cerulean wink, a pretty spectrum of attention-grabbing hues takes center stage with fall 2012's hottest hair and makeup trends.
ON ELLE: Amazing New York Street Style
Rosy Cheeks2 of 15
The Look: At Michael Kors, a soft pink flush bloomed. Shiseido artistic director Dick Page had editors blushing backstage about his racy inspiration: "It's the look after a morning of skiing, an hour in a hot tub, or some good sex."
Seen at: Dior, Issa, Michael Kors, Temperley
DIY: Page smudged red lipstick on cheeks, blending with a damp foundation sponge. Concentrate a pink shade on just the apples for a youthful glow.
Get the Look3 of 15
For the rosy-cheeked style, try these colors: Estée Lauder Pure Color Blush in Electric Pink; YSL Rouge Pur Couture lipstick in 201; Revlon PhotoReady cream blush in Flushed; Shiseido Lacquer Rouge in Drama; Laura Geller Ombré Blush in Pink Blossom.
Laid-Back Braids4 of 15
The Look: Plaits, in many forms, staged a comeback this season. "A pulled-back braid looks strong in the front while being feminine in the back," says Luigi Murenu, John Frieda global creative consultant.
Seen at: Ferragamo, Ohne Titel, Pucci
DIY: The classic braid at Ohne Titel is a functional, chic alternative to a ponytail. Work a serum through wet strands and blow-dry for a smooth finish. Draw a hard side or middle part, and fasten a ponytail at the nape. Weave hair into a braid and secure ends.
Get the Look5 of 15
Hair Jewels6 of 15
The Look: At Dolce & Gabbana, baroque headbands were secured over low buns, while at Rodarte, hair was tucked into faux bobs and fastened with celestial gold barrettes.
Seen at: Cacharel, Dolce & Gabbana, Oscar de la Renta, Rodarte
DIY: Ornaments can transform a simple style into "a look that's really beautiful and exquisite," says Guido Palau, Redken creative consultant. A smooth base is key—nix flyaways and frizz with a few drops of Argan oil worked over dry strands.
Get the Look7 of 15
To try an ornate updo, start with these: Pureology Precious Oil Versatile Caring Oil; Dolce & Gabbana black velvet, lace, and jewel headband, and beige velvet, lace, and jewel headband; Karina bobby pins in assorted colors.
Colored Tips8 of 15
The Look: The new French manicure includes no white polish. "A classic French looks old-fashioned," says manicurist Deborah Lippmann, who changed up the look with rounded edges and colored tips.
Seen at: Badgley Mischka, Bill Blass, Donna Karan, Thakoon
DIY: To paint a fine line, rest your elbow on a flat surface to steady the hand holding the brush. Slowly move the opposite hand’s nails under the brush for an even streak. Clean up cuticles with a polish-remover pen.
Get the Look9 of 15
The following manicure products will help you nab the new tip trend: Deborah Lippmann Nail Lacquer in Dark Side of the Moon and Nefertiti; MAC Ruffian Manicure in Demilune; Sally Hansen Quick Care Conditioning Manicure Corrector.
Butterfly Effect 110 of 15
This season's "smoky eye" was all about a rainbow of shadow colors.
Seen at: Roberto Cavalli, by Pat McGrath
DIY: Butterfly Eye11 of 15
Re-create this season's butterfly eye with our guide.
1: Dust brown shadow over the entire lid, concentrating pigment on the outer two-thirds. Next, press a purple hue into the inner one third of the lid.
2: Pop an emerald shade onto the center, blending it into the purple and brown hues.
3: Dab more brown shadow around the outer edge, then layer it along the lower lash line.
4: Press gold shadow into the inner corners; trace the upper and lower lash lines with black eyeliner.
Get the Look12 of 15
These colorful products help you capture the butterfly eye: The Eyeshadow Quad in Elegance and The Eyeshadow Duo in Gems, both by Dolce & Gabbana; Covergirl Liquiline Blast in Black Fire.
The Butterfly Effect 213 of 15
Here is a more dramatic example of the multicolored eye.
Seen at: Jason Wu, by Diane Kendal
DIY: Bold Butterfly14 of 15
1: Blend a taupe eye shadow over the entire lid up to the brow bone and below the lower lashes.
2: Lightly dust a cool brown shadow over the lid, concentrating on the brow bone.
3: Using a Q-tip, dab blue shadow into the inner corner of the eye. Use the other end of the Q-tip to apply the brown pigment along the lower lash line.
4: Use a fingertip to pat blue eye shadow across the lid in an outward, angled shape, mimicking wings. Finish with a matching cerulean liner to blend hard edges.
Get the Look15 of 15
For the butterfly look as seen at Prabal Gurung, try: Pro Chromagraphic Pencils in Marine Ultra and Landscape Green; Eye Shadow in Club, Pro Pigment in Kelly Green, all by MAC.
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 11 Clever Decor Ideas For Small Patios
- The oversized trend that's making a comeback
- Beauty Tips From A Supermodel-Turned-Actress
- 9 Worst Packing Mistakes You're Making
- 9 Must-Read Tips for a Healthy Divorce
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession