Best Celebrity Bangs in History
- Next1 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 27Courtesy of JaneFonda.com
- Previous Next8 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 27Courtesy of Everett Collection
- Previous Next14 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 27Courtesy of Miramax
- Previous Next16 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next18 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next19 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next20 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next21 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next22 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next23 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next24 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next25 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next26 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Previous Next27 of 27Courtesy of Getty Images
- Best Celebrity Bangs in History7 Foods That Fight Aging
- How to Get Rid of Under-Eye Circles
- The 100 Best Salons in the Country
- The 20 top celeb-inspired wedding hairdos
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- How to pick killer shadow for your eyes
- Runway-fresh: Hair & makeup for the fall
- 8 products to up your post-vacation glow
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
Fringe Benefits1 of 27
By Taegen Tanner for ELLE
Bangs may be a modern red carpet staple, but they actually have a long history (hair-story?) in Hollywood. Whether wispy or thick, feathered or blunt-cut, bangs are the go-to hair choice for celebs who need a new coif. Here, we look back at the evolution of the A-list fringe.
Louise Brooks, 19252 of 27
There's nothing quiet about this silent movie starlet's looks, right down to her "Dutch Boy" bob cut. Her thick thatch of bangs, cut straight across the forehead, became a popular look with flappers seeking to defy society's vision of beauty.
Veronica Lake, 19423 of 27
Lake's side-parted style, which tumbled like a curtain over her right eye, became known as the "peek-a-boo bang," and was even parodied by Lake herself in the movie Star Spangled Rhythm. Later, Kim Basinger's L.A. Confidential style was modeled on the look.
ON ELLE: 32 Cutest Celeb Pixie Cuts
Bettie Page, 19564 of 27
The "Queen of Pinups" boasted enviable curves (36-23-35, to be exact), but it's her cropped bangs that left a lasting beauty impression.
ON ELLE: The Best Hair Straightening Products
Peggy Moffitt, 19655 of 27
Vidal Sassoon clipped this mod model's thick black hair—fringe and all—creating one of the most famous haircuts of the '60s and making Sassoon a household name.
Jean Shrimpton, 19656 of 27
The English model wore her fringe finely trimmed, and often tucked the wisps behind her ears (a trick later used by Alexa Chung).
ON ELLE: 5 Best Hairstyles For Dirty Hair
Jane Fonda, 19707 of 27
Coolest mug shot ever? Jane Fonda sported bangs and a defiant glare in 1970, because, well, it's important to leave Barbarella alone.
Farrah Fawcett, 19768 of 27
Stylist Allen Edwards created this fluffy fringe for Farrah Fawcett and millions of college coeds followed suit (or rather, snip).
Loni Anderson, 19809 of 27
She's not a natural blonde, but the WKRP in Cincinnati star's flaxen coif helped steer her career, and her halo of big bangs helped define a decade where excess was everything.
Sarah Jessica Parker, 198510 of 27
Though the most popular bang style of the '80s required a gallon of Aquanet and just as much heat, some girls just wanna have fun with less product, like this wispy fringe sported by a pre-Bradshaw SJP.
Christina Applegate, 198711 of 27
As ditzy Kelly Bundy on Married…With Children, Applegate wore her bangs sky-high, with shellacked side wings to boot. Of her "mall hair" style, she noted, "You know, the bangs that stick straight up off the top of your head. That was ridiculous." Maybe…but everyone was doing it.
Shannen Doherty, 1990-9312 of 27
Doherty claimed she was fired from 90210 for doing a DIY hack job on her trademark "Brenda Walsh" bangs. "I cried over a bad haircut because I got fired over it," she told The Talk. (Fortunately, the TV gods later spared Felicity.)
Natalie Portman, 199413 of 27
An 11-year-old Portman captured hearts as Mathilda, the gun-toting girl in The Professional whose little-girl bangs belied a vengeful spirit.
Drew Barrymore, 199814 of 27
Barrymore bucked the grunge trend with her daisy hair crown and '40s-inspired bangs, creating a trend seen at 9th grade semi-formals all over the country.
Audrey Tautou, 200115 of 27
In Amélie, Tautou's wide-eyed wonderment was even more palpable thanks to her blunt bangs.
Gwen Stefani, 200316 of 27
She's sported pink and blue hair, but it's Stefani's signature platinum locks and bumped bangs that made the Tragic Kingdom singer a pop icon.
Shannyn Sossamon, 200517 of 27
The DJ/model/actress pulled off her itty-bitty asymmetrical bangs for years, becoming the poster child for glam hipsters everywhere.
Naomi Campbell, 200518 of 27
Scandals may come and go, but one thing is constant: The supermodel's blunt-cut bangs keep her looking ageless.
Nicole Richie, 200519 of 27
An It Girl for the new millennium, Richie gave the red carpets a fresh dose of glamour with this side-swept 'do.
Madonna, 200620 of 27
This disco-worthy feathered fringe was the perfect complement to Madge's club-thumping Confessions on a Dance Floor, which featured ABBA samples. Hairstylist Andy LeCompte played a role in the mane reinvention, creating the Dancerteria-worthy fringe for Madonna's video, "Hung Up."
Katie Holmes, 200721 of 27
A severely short chop reflected Holmes' shift from Joey Potter to Katie Cruise. Her thick China-doll bangs set the Internet reeling... of course, now Suri's outfits have stolen the show.
Reese Witherspoon, 200722 of 27
The best revenge is a good set of bangs? That was the case for Witherspoon, who debuted her wispy fringe after divorcing Ryan Phillippe. The hairstylist behind the look, Mark Townsend, noted, "I got more questions and emails about this haircut than anything I've ever done."
Lady Gaga, 200823 of 27
Before the meat dress, Gaga's sharp white bangs became her beauty calling card. And then there was the hair bow...
Zooey Deschanel, 201124 of 27
Watching New Girl with serious bangs envy? You're not alone. Deschanel's even admitted she's hooked on the look, saying, "I don't feel like I'm myself without them."
Michelle Obama, 201325 of 27
Though the FLOTUS has already denounced her fringe, attributing it to her "mid-life crisis," there's no denying that the simple chop put the Internet in overdrive. Not only did Michelle Obama's bangs get their own Twitter handle (@MichellesBangs) within weeks of debuting at the POTUS' second inauguration, but the President himself said their debut was "the most significant event of this weekend."
Tyra Banks, 201326 of 27
Banks often references her large forehead as a flaw to be celebrated, even going so far as to develop the upcoming ABC comedy series Fivehead about her awkward adolescence. But the supermodel mogul recently covered her "imperfection" with perfect flaxen bangs. At least she can still smize, right?
Taylor Swift, 201327 of 27
The music sensation recently posted to Instagram, "While in the studio, I came to the realization that my bangs are long enough to use as a sleep mask on long flights. Then I remembered I don't ever use sleep masks on flights. So really, I just need a haircut."
- Leo's annual astrological guide
- 9 Style Staples Every 30-Year-Old Should Own
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- 11 Affordable Ways To Decorate A Blank Wall
- How To Look Like Jenny McCarthy In Your 40s
- 10 Shocking Stories About Returning Clothes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession