Great Hair Then & Now
- Next1 of 23Petrified Collection/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 23Louise Brooks: John Kobal Foundation/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 23Sara De Boer/Startraksphoto.com
- Previous Next4 of 23Veronica Lake: Eugene Robert Richee/John Kobal Foundation/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 23Diane Kruger: Kevin Mazur/WireImage
- Previous Next6 of 23Audrey Hepburn: Michael Ochs Archives/Stringer
- Previous Next7 of 23Penelope Cruz: Jean Baptiste Lacroix/FilmMagic
- Previous Next8 of 23Marilyn Monroe: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 23Rachel McAdams: Charles Eshelman/FilmMagic
- Previous Next10 of 23Twiggy: Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 23Gregg DeGuire/WireImage
- Previous Next12 of 23Brigitte Bardot: Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 23Jessica Alba: Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage
- Previous Next14 of 23Marsha Hunt: Evening Standard/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 23Esperanza Spalding: Jeff Fusco/Getty Images
- Previous Next16 of 23Jane Birkin: S E Orchard/Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 23Richard Young/Startraksphoto.com
- Previous Next18 of 23Diana Ross: Harry Langdon/Getty Images
- Previous Next19 of 23Beyonce: Debra L Rothenberg/FilmMagic
- Previous Next20 of 23Valerie Bertinelli: Archive Photos/Stringer
- Previous Next21 of 23Hailee Steinfeld: Dimitrios Kambouris/FilmMagic
- Previous Next22 of 23Jodie Foster: Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next23 of 23Evan Rachel Wood: Jeffrey Mayer/WireImage
Staying Power1 of 23
By Shannan Rouss
Over the years, plenty of hair trends have come and gone — and then come back again. Although there are a few 'dos we hope are done for good (Kate Gosselin's asymmetrical cut comes to mind), these 11 memorable styles have stood the test of time. See them in their original form, along with how they look today.
Then: The Bob2 of 23
Now: The Bob3 of 23
Bones star Tamara Taylor shows how a casual bob can look polished for a night on the town.
Search: An interview with the actress
Then: Peekaboo 'Do4 of 23
In the 1940s, actress Veronica Lake launched a hairstyle that would become synonymous with old Hollywood glamour.
Now: Peekaboo 'Do5 of 23
The straight side-part and sleek blond waves make Diane Kruger's look a ringer for Lake's.
Then: Short-Short Bangs6 of 23
The original gamine, Audrey Hepburn could wear a paper bag on her head and still look lovely. With big eyes and dramatic arches, her mini fringe has a youthful, sprightly appeal.
Now: Short-Short Bangs7 of 23
Penélope Cruz wears her short, piece-y bangs just a hair longer than Hepburn's, and the effect is equally charming.
Then: Pin Curls8 of 23
Marilyn Monroe's blond bombshell curls looked even more alluring when her hair was slightly mussed and not too perfect.
Now: Pin Curls9 of 23
Thanks to a chin-length cut and long layers, Rachel McAdams channels a sultry Marilyn.
Then: Boyish Cut10 of 23
Now: Boyish Cut11 of 23
When she cropped her locks, Ginnifer Goodwin set herself apart from the packs of young stars with predictably long hair.
Then: Sexy Bouffant12 of 23
Forget fussy updos. In the early '60s, Brigitte Bardot wore her hair teased, tousled and piled atop her head in a famously sexy twist on the classic style.
Now: Sexy Bouffant13 of 23
Jessica Alba shows off a modern version of the Bardot-inspired bouff. The resulting look was soft, ethereal and subtly sexy.
Then: Natural Afro14 of 23
In 1969, Marsha Hunt (then performing in London's production of Hair) appeared au natural on the cover of British Vogue.
Now: Natural Afro15 of 23
Jazz musician Esperanza Spalding (winner of the 2011 Grammy for Best New Artist) says that wearing her hair naturally is a form of self-expression.
Then: Long Fringe16 of 23
Eye-grazing bangs gave model Jane Birkin a come-hither innocence.
Now: Long Fringe17 of 23
Model-actress Jessica Biel made headlines this spring when she cut her long bangs.
Bing: Biel's fashion evolution
Then: Diva 'Do18 of 23
Now: Diva 'Do19 of 23
Like Ross, Beyoncé has hair that's long, full and lends itself well to the windblown look.
Then: Long & Loose20 of 23
Now: Long & Loose21 of 23
Today's tween sensation Hailee Steinfeld has nearly waist-length hair that hearkens back to the '70s.
Then: Choppy Crop22 of 23
During the mid-80s, punk was at its peak and child actress Jodie Foster changed up her look with an edgy, androgynous cut.
Now: Choppy Crop23 of 23
Evan Rachel Wood recently reinvented her look with a similarly edgy cut, sculpted to messy perfection.
NEXT ON GLO: Is Your Hair Aging You?