- Next1 of 12Glo
- Previous Next2 of 12Frida Kahlo: Archive Photos/Getty
- Previous Next3 of 12Clara Bow: John Kobal Roundation/Moviepix/Getty
- Previous Next4 of 12Dorothy Dandridge: Hulton Archive/Getty
- Previous Next5 of 12Joan Crawford: John Engstead/Moviepix
- Previous Next6 of 12Liz Taylor: John Kobal Roundation/Moviepix/Getty
- Previous Next7 of 12Gilles Petard/Redferns/Getty
- Previous Next8 of 12Glo
- Previous Next9 of 12Madonna: Warner Brothers / Photofest
- Previous Next10 of 12Brooke Shields: Hulton Archive/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 12Lily Collins: Andy Kropa/Getty
- Previous Next12 of 12Michelle Williams/Kate Winslet: Larry Busacca/Getty
Brows_Intro21 of 12
One Of A Kind2 of 12
Would Frida Kahlo's beauty have been as striking if she'd plucked the stray hairs where her brows converged?
Drawing Attention3 of 12
Keeping with the trend of the times, 1920s "It Girl" Clara Bow plucked, then drew on her long, thin brows.
Making A Point4 of 12
The sharp rise in Dorothy Dandridge's arches—almost like a perpetually cocked brow—expressed a playful, knowing charm.
Dark & Stormy5 of 12
Although her brows were more like Bow's at the beginning of her career, by the '50s Joan Crawford's heavy, broad arches had a dramatic, don't-mess-with-me thickness.
Nice Curves6 of 12
Elizabeth Taylor would eventually do a more sleek, angular brow that tapered at the end, but here her arches still had a subtle, demure roundness.
Fading Away7 of 12
An icon of the disco era, Grace Jones's faintly visible brows contributed to her other-worldly appearance.
SEARCH: What is Grace Jones doing now?
All In The Family8 of 12
Mariel Hemingway's strong low brow (inherited from grandfather Ernest) gave the former model and actress a down-to-earth, all-American appeal.
Blond Ambition9 of 12
Before she started re-shaping her arches, Madonna's brows made a bold statement next to her platinum hair.
SEARCH: See Madonna's brow-less moment
Thick Of Things10 of 12
Even as a "pretty baby," Brooke Shields had standout brows that offset her blue eyes— eventually helping her land the coveted cover of Vogue France's September issue.
Full Grown11 of 12
We hope Hollywood newcomer Lily Collins keeps her arches as full and natural as they are now.
Perfect Pair12 of 12
Michelle Williams and Kate Winslet exemplify the modern brow, contrasting nicely with their lighter hair and looking neat, but not overly done.
MORE ON GLO: The secret to luxe movie star lashes