- Next1 of 10Christian Dior: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next2 of 10Aquilano & Ro: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next3 of 10Carolina Herrera: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next4 of 10Peter Som: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next5 of 10Alberta Ferretti: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next6 of 10Derek Lam: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next7 of 10Etro: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next8 of 10Just Cavalli: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next9 of 10Jason Wu: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next10 of 10Oscar De La Renta: Imaxtree.com
- Eye-popping color9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Bright Eyes1 of 10
Aqua, coral, crimson and canary. Bright, vibrant eye color is one of spring’s most daring—albeit ubiquitous—beauty trends. Swishes of highly pigmented shadow and swipes of bold eyeliner showed up on the runway, but are audaciously colored eyes wearable in real life? We tapped Gregory Arlt, director of makeup artistry for MAC Cosmetics in L.A., for a lesson in wearing "kapow!" color.
Hue Knew?2 of 10
When choosing a shadow, resist the urge to get too matchy-matchy with your outfit. “I always think the color should match your skin tone first and foremost,” says Arlt, adding that “greens and oranges work well on olive skin, while blues and yellows flatter paler complexions."
Clothes Call3 of 10
But don’t discount your outfit entirely. If you’re wearing a floral dress, “pick up any green in the print with a green shadow,” suggests Arlt. If you want to rock a super-saturated metallic shade, keep your clothes more neutral.
Hello, Yellow!4 of 10
Intense neon shadows and liner aren’t for the wallflower. “This is when makeup becomes more of an accessory than an enhancement," says Arlt. "And I think there’s a time and place for any bold accessory."
Sheer Beauty5 of 10
To turn down the wattage on vivid color, opt for a powdery shadow that's on the sheer side. “Lightly dust the color on with a softer brush so there’s just a hint of color,” says Arlt.
Lash Out6 of 10
Another down-to-earth way to wear colored shadow: “Put just a bit on the lash line, then add loads of mascara,” says Arlt. “You see the color, but it’s not overpowering.”
Brow Out7 of 10
Arlt's favorite way to apply colored shadow is to to keep it concentrated on the eyelid fading out as you go up the brow bone. Get the look by using a flat, dense eye shadow brush on the lid (which picks up lots of shadow), then working a softer, fluffy shadow brush back and forth over the edges of the shadow.
Walk the Line8 of 10
Boldly colored liner on its own has the potential to look a little too space age, so Arlt recommends pairing it with a black liner. His technique: “Draw the colored line first—a little thicker than you usually would—then trace over it with a very thin line of black along the lash line."
Rainbow Connection9 of 10
Mixing two bright colors on the eye takes a steady hand, but it's not impossible. "I did a Karl Lagerfeld show where we were doing a bright blue liner on top and bright green on the bottom," says Arlt. "Colors that sit next to each other in the rainbow tend to work well together.”
Color Me Happy!10 of 10
If you’re doing a brightly colored eye, conventional beauty wisdom holds that the rest of your face should be subdued—think nude or pale-pink lips and cheeks. But thanks to softer shades of poppy colors, "you could easily wear an orange stain on your lips and an opaque green shadow on your eyes," according to Arlt. His motto: Have fun with it.
- 7 Ways to Grow Out Your Bangs Gracefully
- Virgo's Personalized Astrological Guide
- New shopping service makes office-wear effortless
- The Ultimate Guide to Granny Chic
- Esquire: 14 Books Every Man Should Read
- 10 Style Rebels Who Changed Fashion
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession