- Next1 of 9Glo
- Previous Next2 of 9Gabriel Bouys/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 9Phi: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next4 of 9Paul & Joe: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next5 of 9Gucci: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next6 of 9Valentino: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next7 of 9Gucci: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next8 of 9Phi: Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next9 of 9Marc Jacobs: Imaxtree.com
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
StraightHair_v021 of 9Intro Card Beauty Faking It Straight Hair Latisse
Straight Hair Q&A2 of 9
By Abby Gardner
Every time we see Demi Moore's hair, we wonder how we can recreate it (along with the hair on all the gorgeous models to follow). Knowing we're not alone, we chatted with Hollywood's go-to stylist for all things straight, Liz Devin from Andy Lecompte Salon, about what exactly we need to do.
Straight Hair Q&A3 of 9
Q: We keep hearing so much about this awesome new treatment, the Brazilian Blowout — how is it done?
A: "First, we wash the hair to open up the cuticles (without stripping the color). Then, we rough dry it, apply the solution of keratin and moisturizers, blow dry and flat iron to seal it in. Finally, we rinse and dry again for a beautiful finish."
Straight Hair Q&A4 of 9
Q: How is this treatment different from others like the Japanese version everyone used to do?
A: "The Brazilian Blowout doesn't change the structure of the hair. It simply fills the cuticles. It washes out gradually and improves the health of the hair. Other straighteners can create a line of demarcation, strip the shine and lead to breakage or limp hair."
Straight Hair Q&A5 of 9
Q: What should women know to ask their stylists to avoid confusion with other Brazilian and Japanese straightening techniques?
A: "The key question to ask is, 'Can I wash my hair or put clips in the same day?' If you cannot, the service being offered is changing the structure of the hair, which I don't recommend. You can also ask for Brazilian Blowout certification."
Straight Hair Q&A6 of 9
Q: What are your best tips for blow-drying your hair straight, if you're not into a salon service?
A: "If your hair is not very curly, blow dry all the moisture out of the hair; then section it and use a round bristle brush and dryer to make it smooth. The biggest mistake people make is not getting hair 100% dry. Leaving in just 5% moisture will make you frizzy in minutes."
Straight Hair Q&A7 of 9
Q: What about people with lots and lots of curl?
A: "If your hair is very curly, rough dry 25% of the moisture out, section the hair and use the round bristle brush as well. Start at the bottom and work your way up. And remember, just because your hair feels hot doesn't mean it's dry. Wait a few minutes after you think you're done and check again for dampness."
Straight Hair Q&A8 of 9
Q: Any tips for using a flat-iron?
A: "If you are going to flat iron hair, make sure it is dry! Use a round brush first to smooth the cuticle, instead of just flat-ironing dry hair, which can cause split ends. A thermal protectant before blow-drying can also help."
GLO PICK: Aveda Smooth Infusing Glossing Straightener, $20
Straight Hair Q&A9 of 9
Q: There are so many hair-dryers out there. How do we pick the right one?
A: "Don't use ionic hair dryers! They over-dry the hair and zap all the natural moisture out of it. Over time, this can lead to dry, brittle, frizzy hair. I recommend Elchim dryers for at-home use. They are lightweight and last forever."
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession