Yes, you can wear red lipstick!
- Next1 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next2 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next3 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next4 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next5 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next6 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next7 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next8 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next9 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next10 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next11 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Yes, you can wear red lipstick!9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Red Alert1 of 11
By Shannan Rouss
Bold, can't-miss red lips turned heads on the fall runways, and now the traffic-stopping hue is this season's hottest shade. While conventional wisdom holds that a true red suits every skin tone, we got the complete color rundown from celebrity makeup artist Suzy Gerstein (who has worked with stars including Julie Bowen, Helena Christensen and Leighton Meester). Get her application tips and product picks for a range of complexions.
For very fair skin with cool undertones...2 of 11
Opt for a pink or blue-based red. "As a general rule, lip colors that have similar undertones to your skin's will look the most natural on you," says Gerstein.
Pro pick: Tarte Lipsurgence Matte Lip Tint in Lively, $24
For fair skin with cool undertones...3 of 11
"A true cherry reds look lovely," says Gerstein. To get a long lasting pout, she recommends lining and filling lips in with a pencil (which has more pigment than lipsticks), and finishing with a moisture-rich lip balm for shine.
Pro pick: Shiseido Smoothing Lip Pencil in Siren, $20
For fair skin with warm undertones...4 of 11
"Reds that are warmer harmonize with those undertones," according to Gerstein. For a subtle, more casual effect, pat color on with your finger instead of applying it directly from the tube.
Pro pick: Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet in Somptueuse, $32
For sun-kissed medium skin...5 of 11
"Sheer reds look fresh and help prolong that back-from-vacation glow by keeping it effortless," says Gerstein. (They're also a good idea for anyone looking to just dip her toe in the red trend!)
Pro pick: Laqa & Co. Ring of Fire Fat Lip Pencil, $20
For olive skin...6 of 11
"A smoldering, classic red is ultra-flattering," says Gerstein. To prevent color from feathering, Gerstein suggests first outlining lips with a clear, silicone-based lipliner.
For deep olive skin...7 of 11
"Try a sheer, glossy red with gold flecks that will pick up on the golden undertones of your skin," says Gerstein.
Pro pick: Bobbi Brown Treatment Lip Shine SPF15 in Sunset Bronze, $23
For brown skin with cool undertones...8 of 11
This coloring can pull off virtually any red, says Gerstein, who always loves a cool, blue-based red.
Pro pick: NARS Matte Velvet Lip Pencil in Dragon Girl, $24
For brown skin with warm undertones...9 of 11
"Deeper reds that have both blue and brown in them—but not too much of either—will complement this complexion," says Gerstein.
Pro pick: Shiseido Perfect Rouge Lipstick in Dragon, $25
For dark skin with cool undertones...10 of 11
"You'll look striking in reds that have a lot of oomph to them," says Gerstein. Look for dramatic, yet classic blue-based hues.
For dark skin with warm undertones...11 of 11
Gerstein suggests looking for warm, chestnut-tinged reds and sheer red glosses that allow your gorgeous skin tone to shine through.
Pro pick: Bobbi Brown Lip Color in Blackberry, $23