Glo Back: Hottest Trends of December 1983
- Next1 of 13Glo
- Previous Next2 of 13A Christmas Story: MGM/UA Entertainment/Photofest
- Previous Next3 of 13Cabbage Patch Kids: SSPL/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 13Swatch Watch: Ralph Crane/Time & Life Pictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 13Motorola: Tim Boyle/Bloomberg via Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 13Raybans/Risky Business: Warner Brothers/Photofest
- Previous Next7 of 13Tom Gates/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 13MCA/Universal Home Video/ Photofest
- Previous Next9 of 13Michael Ochs Archives/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 13Dynasty: ABC Photo Archives/ABC via Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 13Scarface: Universal Pictures/Photofest
- Previous Next12 of 13Jane Fonda's Workout: Warner Brothers / Photofest
- Previous Next13 of 13Dick Clark: ABC/Photofest
Intro_v02a1 of 13
Freeze Frame2 of 13
A Christmas Story opened two weeks before Thanksgiving in 1983. Although it wasn't an instant hit, in the years the followed, TV airings made the movie into a classic—and a holiday tradition for many. On the off chance that you've never seen it, you'll have 24 hours to check it out, starting Dec. 24 at at 8PM when the TBS marathon begins.
Toy Story3 of 13
This was the year of Cabbage Patch Kids madness, as parents battled over the dolls at toy stores across the country. One Kansas City father made headlines when he flew to London to obtain the must-have present for his daughter.
Good Timing4 of 13
Another gift under many a tree? Swiss-made Swatch watches, which debuted in '83. Costing $35, the watches were both fashionable and affordable. Today, original Swatch watches (now considered "vintage") are being offered on eBay for up to $700.
Hold The Phone5 of 13
Long before the itty-bitty smartphones of today, Motorola introduced the first commercially sold cell phone, the DynaTAC 8000X. The hefty device weighed nearly two pounds, was 10 inches high, and cost a hefty $3,995.
Made In The Shades6 of 13
With Tom Cruise's performance in Risky Business, Ray-Ban Wayfarers, originally released in 1956, enjoyed a resurgence in popularity. Although sales waned in the '90s, by 2008 the sunglasses were on their way to a second comeback, thanks in part to Robert Pattinson's Edward Cullen sporting the vintage shades in Twilight.
Crowning Glory7 of 13
In late '83, Vanessa Williams became the first black woman to be crowned Miss America. Despite the subsequent nude photo scandal that led to her giving up the crown, Williams made a successful comeback in the late '80s, launching a successful music career and going on to star in roles on Broadway and in Hollywood.
Thrill Ride8 of 13
On December 2, the 14-minute Thriller music video was released with Michael Jackson (alongside former Playmate Ola Ray) sporting his iconic red jacket. In '84, the video won an MTV Video Music Award for both Best Overall Performance in a Video and Best Choreography.
MORE ON GLO: Greatest Hits from the MTV Video Music Awards
A Good Run9 of 13
Made up of Joseph Run Simmons (later Rev Run,) Darryl D.M.C. McDaniels, and Jason Jam-Master Jay Mizell, hip hop trio Run–D.M.C. released their first single "It's Like That/Sucker MCs" in late 1983. The legendary group went on to release more hits including "You Be Illin'" and a remake of Aerosmith's "Walk This Way."
Drama Queen10 of 13
Big hair and bigger sleeves reigned in the '80s. On Dynasty, Joan Collins's scheming Alexis epitomized the lavish lifestyle. In this Dec. 21 episode, the usual drama was momentarily set aside with cameo appearances by former President and Mrs. Gerald Ford and Henry Kissinger. Of course, the always scheming Alexis managed to squeeze in this quip to Kissinger: ''Henry, hello. I haven't seen you since Portofino. It was fun.''
Miami Heat11 of 13
December 9 marked the premiere of Scarface, starring Al Pacino and Michelle Pfeiffer. The movie helped put Miami's nightclub scene on the map, along with newcomer Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio, pictured. The actress made her film debut as Gina Montana, sister to Pacino's Tony Montana.
A Leg Up12 of 13
Following the popularity of Jane Fonda's Workout, the actress-turned-exercise maven released Jane Fonda's Workout Challenge. (Note the legwarmers, a trend that crossed over from the workout scene to mainstream.)
MORE ON GLO: Jane Fonda's Beauty & Style Evolution
The Countdown Begins13 of 13
Beginning in 1972, American Bandstand's Dick Clark hosted his first of many New Year's Rockin' Eve in Times Square. Musical performers in '84 included Boy George's The Culture Club, Rick James and Laura Branigan. (Find out who's set to perform this year.) Ten, nine, eight, seven....
NEXT ON GLO: Glo Back to 1961!
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession