Mascaras put to the test: Which is the best?
- Next1 of 13Glo
- Previous Next2 of 13Courtesy of Flirt Cosmetics
- Previous Next3 of 13Courtesy of Bare Escentuals
- Previous Next4 of 13Courtesy of Tarte
- Previous Next5 of 13Courtesy of YBF
- Previous Next6 of 13Courtesy of By Terry
- Previous Next7 of 13Courtesy of Urban Decay
- Previous Next8 of 13Courtesy of Rimmel London
- Previous Next9 of 13Courtesy of TIGI
- Previous Next10 of 13Courtesy of Maybelline
- Previous Next11 of 13Courtesy of Smashbox
- Previous Next12 of 13Courtesy of L'Oréal
- Previous Next13 of 13Courtesy of Mark
- Mascaras put to the test: Which is the best?9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
INTRO_Glo_Tested_Mascaras_vo21 of 13
Curl Power2 of 13
Why it's unique: Flirt It! Curl Mascara promises to curl your lashes while giving terrific coverage.
Tester's take: "I could not believe how long-wearing this mascara is! I fell asleep in it by mistake and when I woke up, it hadn't smudged a bit. I am a huge fan."
SHOP NOW: Flirt It! Curl Mascara, $15
Cream of the Crop3 of 13
Why it's unique: This formula from Bare Escentuals lengthens and thickens without a lot of iffy ingredients (there are no parabens, sulfates, no artificial colors or fragrances).
Tester's take: "This mascara has a fat applicator with long rubbery fibers; the makeup itself is thick but creamy—no clumps. It's a great volumizing mascara. It took me a few coats to cover my very light lashes, but they turned out very va-va voom!"
SHOP NOW: Bare Escentuals Buxom Mascara, $19
Natural Wonder4 of 13
Why it's unique: Tarte's Gifted Mascara incorporates Amazonian clay for an intense pigment that doesn't flake. There are also no artificial preservatives, colors or fragrances—and it's packaged in a recyclable bamboo tube.
Tester's take: "This has quickly become my go-to mascara. The formula is rich, never clumpy and adds just the right amount of color and thickening. It even smells great!"
SHOP NOW: Tarte Gifted Amazonian Clay Smart Mascara, $19
Prime Time5 of 13
Why it's unique: YBF Beauty mascara is a cleverly packaged two-part system that includes a lengthening and thickening primer and a darkening mascara.
Tester's take: "I definitely noticed the difference the primer made when putting it on before the mascara. I was able to coat lashes evenly, which made them appear longer and thicker. I think the curved wand helped with that, too."
SHOP NOW: YBF Mascara and Lash Primer Duo (sold with eyelash curler), $25
The Thick of Things6 of 13
Why it's unique: The By Terry Terrybly Growth Booster Mascara promises to improve lash health and length while imparting color and volume.
Tester's take: "By Terry has a dense bristle brush that is uniformly thick throughout. This mascara made my lashes look thicker and darker, and removal was a breeze."
SHOP NOW: By Terry Terrybly Growth Booster Mascara, $46
Big & Beautiful7 of 13
Why it's unique: Urban Decay has recently given its beloved mascara a makeover. Big Fatty harnesses the power of nature, including hemp-seed, vitamin E and jojoba oil in its formula.
Tester's take: "It added plenty of density and volume, living up to its Big Fatty name!"
SHOP NOW: Urban Decay Big Fatty Mascara, $20
Black Out8 of 13
Why it's unique: The oversize MaxDensity brush that comes with Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Mascara deposits more color onto lashes and is designed to prevent clumping. The formula also includes collagen and keratin to condition delicate lashes.
Tester's take: "It went on very smooth with the right amount of thickness and the extreme black color added drama to my eyes."
SHOP NOW: Rimmel London Scandal Eyes Mascara, $7
Balancing Act9 of 13
Why it's unique: TIGI Lash Love Mascara is pH balanced, which its maker claims helps maintain lash health. Unexpected ingredients like palm and rice bran are meant to lengthen and add volume.
Tester's take: "TIGI had a different type of applicator—it was like a straight comb. The brush made the mascara easy to apply, but I had to do a few swipes to get good coverage."
SHOP NOW: TIGI Lash Love Mascara, $20
Easy Does It10 of 13
Why it's unique: Maybelline has long been makeup artists' go-to drugstore mascara. The brand's latest offering, Volum' Express with Mega Plush, features a new gel-mousse formula and a flexible applicator wand.
Tester's take: "This is great for everyday wear. It darkened and lengthened, but not too much."
SHOP NOW: Maybelline Volum' Express with Mega Plush Mascara, $6
Blond Moment11 of 13
Why it's unique: Smashbox Hyperlash Mascara offers a unique applicator that has the qualities of both a brush and a comb.
Tester's take: "I have very blond eyelashes, and I loved this one because with the applicator I could get right to the lash line and provided excellent separation and coverage."
SHOP NOW: Smashbox Hyperlash Mascara, $22
Great Lengths12 of 13
Why it's unique: L'Oréal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes, as the name implies, incorporates free-floating fibers in its formula. When stroked onto the lashes, they adhere and give the appearance of greater length.
Tester's take: "The L'Oréal formula was smooth, soft and velvety. It definitely lengthened my lashes in a nonclumpy way."
SHOP NOW: L'Oréal Voluminous False Fiber Lashes, $9
Smooth Operator13 of 13
Why it's unique: This formula claims to offer 20 times the volume of regular lashes, while smaller bristles at the brush’s tip are designed to coat tiny lashes.
Tester's take: "Mark's wand is plastic with stiff, nonbristle bristles. The formula is very smooth and wet, it glided on and gave my lashes a very sleek, lengthened look."
SHOP NOW: Mark Lash All You Want, $10
- How to Be Funny: 9 Essential Tips
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- New shopping service makes office-wear effortless
- How To Dress Like Your Favorite Cartoon
- 15 Most Unforgettable Celebrity Brows
- 9 Ways Your House Can Help You Stay Fit
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession