Hottest Rock Hairstyles
- Next1 of 11Retna
- Previous Next2 of 11Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 11Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 11Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 11Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 11Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 11Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 11Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 11Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 11Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 11Getty Images
- Hottest Rock Hairstyles9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
We Love Rock & Roll1 of 11
There's nothing more fun to us than looking back at iconic hair moments, which is why we love this ELLE rocker retrospective so. —Glo
Turn back time to 1987, the year Cher favored a spiky jet-black coif that outdid anything her contemporaries could craft (though in recent years, Tokio Hotel singer Bill Kaulitz has come close).
Cassie2 of 11
It’s been more than a year since the singer debuted her side-shaven do — and she’s still rocking it today. After posting a pic of her shorn look on Twitter last April, she tweeted that “sometimes you just a need a change” and aptly referred to the hairstyle as “something that will shock your mother but make her call you a rock star.”
Cyndi Lauper3 of 11
Before Cassie, there was Lauper, one of the original female rock stars with a shaved head. When this picture was taken in 1984, Lauper just wanted to have fun — and that’s still her aim today.
Debbie Harry4 of 11
One way or another, the Blondie frontwoman always topped the music charts — and style pages. Who else could make a simple sweatband look so chic?
Eve5 of 11
Before she became a fashion darling, Eve was a ruff rider with a buzz cut that changed color quicker than the pace of her rhymes. One day it was red and the next it was purple (see evidence at left).
Gwen Stefani6 of 11
Tempestuous curls and a chunky diamond-studded pin? No doubt. Known for her inventive 'dos, Stefani and her hair made a va-va-voom entrance at the 2005 Brit Awards.
Janelle Monáe7 of 11
With dance skills reminiscent of James Brown’s and a pompadour bound to make Little Richard feel good, Monáe has taken the music industry by storm. Though the tuxedo-loving singer admits she didn’t invent the pompadour, she has embraced the 'do as her own, telling theBVX.com, “Only one person can wear this particular hairstyle and that's Janelle Monáe.”
Joan Jett8 of 11
In 1984, Jett’s famous mullet hairstyle reached new heights (see photo at left). The 'do made a comeback earlier this year — at least cinematically — thanks to Kristen Stewart, ELLE’s June cover girl, who portrayed the rocker in a Runaways biopic (look for the DVD and Blu-ray on July 20).
ON ELLE: Vote For Kristen Stewart's Best 'Dos
Madonna9 of 11
Tousled hair and mousse were mainstays in the '80s — and no one combined these elements better than Madonna. In 1985, she attended the American Music Awards wearing this amplified ponytail.
Taylor Swift10 of 11
She might be country-music royalty, but Taylor Swift has a down-to-earth flower-child flair. Last summer she wore various hippie-style headbands, including this bloom-adorned elastic, and it appears she’s favoring the accessory again this season (she was recently spotted wearing a beaded band with a breezy updo).
Tina Turner11 of 11
The iconic Turner rocked with the best of them in the ‘80s — Eric, Mick and Sir Paul were all on her star-studded list of duet partners. But perhaps the most notable personality to share the stage with Turner was her divalicious head of hair, which accompanied her every shimmy.
For even more hot rocker hairstyles, go to Elle.com.
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession