Sorry, Chic Ain't Effortless
How Putting in Extra Grooming Time Helped This New Mom Look Fabulous
"Magazines love to show these images of models with their effortless style," says Melissa Magsaysay, author of City of Style: Exploring Los Angeles Fashion From Bohemian to Rock. "But unless you're gorgeous and twenty years old and don't need a bra, it takes a lot of money and time to get that look."
Indeed, a peek at online retailer Netaporter.com's "off-duty" dress section reveals a gorgeous Vanessa Bruno smocked silk-crepe mini that is described as "effortlessly chic." Never mind the fact that it costs $650 and can only be dry-cleaned, a frock like this demands a pair of flashy pumps or booties and a respectable handbag. Oh, and factor in time to shave your legs, too.
Indeed and really, what's wrong with admitting that you make an effort to look good or stylish? It takes time for me to maintain harmony in my marriage and I work very hard at my writing. The return on the energy I expend as a mother defies value.
So my new personal style is: elbow-grease chic.
- 7 Ways to Grow Out Your Bangs Gracefully
- Virgo's Personalized Astrological Guide
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- The Ultimate Guide to Granny Chic
- Esquire: 14 Books Every Man Should Read
- 10 Style Rebels Who Changed Fashion
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession