Makeup Products That Work Best In Pairs
- Next1 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next2 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next3 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next4 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next5 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next6 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next7 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next8 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next9 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next10 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next11 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next12 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Previous Next13 of 13Devon Jarvis/Studio D
- Makeup Products That Work Best In Pairs10 Foods for Gorgeous Hair
- The Single Best Hair Cut for Every Face Shape
- What Your Hair Color Says about Your Personality
- 21 Must-Know Tips About Painting Your Nails
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 15 Books That Changed Women Forever
- 10 Tricks For Faking Bigger Eyes
- 10 Ways To Stretch Out Your Beauty Dollars
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
Two's Company1 of 13
By Lauren Elliott for ELLE
Like Jack and Lazaro or Stefano and Domenico, these makeup-world power duos prove two is the magic number—even if most of us would never think to mix them up.
Thicker Lashes Guaranteed2 of 13
Makeup artist Molly R. Stern invented "lash highlights," which, she promises, make lashes look thicker. After two coats of black Lancôme Définicils Mascara, she uses a brush to paint the tops of eyelashes with metallic L'Oréal Paris Infallible Never Fail Lacquer Liner 24H in Bronze.
Five-Second Face-Lift3 of 13
Fiona Stiles, the Mark. celebrity makeup artist, loves "believable" contouring, so she designed this chiseling cocktail to give shape to the face without looking fake. First, she uses an angled brush to apply Chanel Soft Touch Eyeshadow in Slate "right under cheekbones, up near the ear," then she warms up the apples of the cheeks with Jouer Mattifying Bronzer.
The Bright Idea4 of 13
You'll never need the Mayfair filter again for the perfect glow: Makeup artist Christy Coleman combines Dr. Hauschka Bronzing Powder with Beautycounter Lip Sheer in Rose (a shade she helped the brand design) on the back of her hand, then uses a synthetic blush brush to deliver the moisturizing champagne-pink shimmer to forehead, cheeks, and chin.
ON ELLE: Beauty Tips Straight from Beyonce
A Glossy Goth Eye5 of 13
"Thick, dark liner can be heavy," says Coleman. To "open up the eyes but still look sultry," she blends clear Beautycounter Lip Shine and Organic Glam Eye Pencil, then brushes the mix along the lash line. "The shine gives a hint of light."
ON ELLE: 10 Best Red Lipsticks to Try Now
The Flaw Fixer6 of 13
Makeup artist Kristee Liu cancels out the red of a blemish with a targeted application of soft green eyeliner (she prefers Nars Larger Than Life Long-Wear Eyeliner in Barrow Street). Next, she hides the pigment with a dab of Stila Stay All Day Concealer.
The Dew School7 of 13
A self-described "face-oil devotee," Stiles creates a "stunning" glow by mixing a pinch of Laura Mercier Loose Shimmer Powder with a few drops Kahina Argan Oil, then presses her palms over the entire face. "It truly makes you look lit from within."
ON ELLE: How to Wear Glitter Makeup
The Longest-Lasting Blush8 of 13
When makeup artist Katy Denno wants "the intensity of color you can only get with a cream blush" but is still "going for a matte finish," she pats three to four layers of Kjaer Weis Cream Blush in Abundance on cheekbones, then sets the shade by pressing a Tatcha blotting paper over the freshly applied color. "It will remove the dewy finish but leave behind the natural flush."
Complexion Perfection9 of 13
"For light, airbrush-effect coverage," makeup artist Romy Soleimani covers any "trouble areas" on the face with Giorgio Armani Beauty Maestro Foundation, then immediately dampens skin with a spritz of Caudalie Beauty Elixir, using her fingers to blend the two together.
The Easiest Cat-Eye10 of 13
"I like to use the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pen"—which is lighter than liner—"for a wash of color, to get the shape right before I do the full cat-eye," says Stiles, who finishes the look with a layer of Mark. Get in Line Hook Up Waterproof Eyeliner. "It stays put while giving a good, inky black line."
Head-to-Toe Glow11 of 13
Why should the face have all the fun? Makeup pro Stephen Sollitto blends two parts ultra-moisturizing Nivea Essentially Enriched Body Lotion with one part Jouer Luminizing Body Glow. "Rub your hands together, then apply to shins, knees, shoulders, arms and the collarbone," says Sollitto. "The sheen of the moisturizer works perfectly with the reflective shimmer of the luminizer."
Couture Color Mascara12 of 13
Black and brown seem so boring once you know how to create any shade of mascara. After applying "glue"—a few coats of L'Oréal Paris Voluminous Million Lashes Mascara—from root to tip, Soleimani dips a disposable spoolie into any M.A.C Pigment (her current favorite is the Yves Klein-esque Hi-Def Cyan) and "works it through the lashes."
The Happiest Red Lip13 of 13
Stern's "universal lip tint" combines one of our childhood faves with a runway regular: Start with a layer of the sheer pink Lip Smacker Dr Pepper lip balm, then use your finger to press the "intense coral red" Beauty Is Life Hollywood eye shadow on the center of the mouth. The end result? "The most gorgeous pop of color that lasts," Stern says. "And it tastes great too."
- Leo's annual astrological guide
- 9 Style Staples Every 30-Year-Old Should Own
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- 11 Affordable Ways To Decorate A Blank Wall
- How To Look Like Jenny McCarthy In Your 40s
- 10 Shocking Stories About Returning Clothes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession