8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- Next1 of 9Herve Leger/Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 9Courtesy of Nordstrom
- Previous Next3 of 9Courtesy of Sephora
- Previous Next4 of 9Courtesy of Bare Escentuals
- Previous Next5 of 9Courtesy of Nordstrom
- Previous Next6 of 9Courtesy of Nordstrom
- Previous Next7 of 9Courtesy of Sephora
- Previous Next8 of 9Courtesy of Nordstrom
- Previous Next9 of 9Courtesy of Sur La Table
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
- Mother's Day Gift Guide 2014
Bizarre Beauty1 of 9
By Tiffany Tse
Forget everything you've ever learned about applying makeup. We rounded up the most unusual beauty tricks, like applying powder before foundation and how to create the illusion of a shorter nose, straight from the pros. Check out our eight favorite tips now.
Take a Powder2 of 9
You've been taught to apply foundation first and powder second, but celebrity makeup artist Kindra Mann suggests switching the two. "Apply all moisturizers and serums as you normally would," she says. "Then, using a loose powder, dust a thin layer over your entire face. The powder has a similar effect that a traditional primer would, creating a smooth canvas to apply foundation."
SHOP NOW: Laura Mercier loose setting powder, $35, nordstrom.com
Lash Out3 of 9
"If you have wayward or unruly lashes, wet them before applying mascara," says Elizabeth Arden Global Makeup Artist Rebecca Restrepo. "You can also use a metal nail file on your lashes to train the hair to go in the right direction, like the way you would use a scissor to make a ribbon curl."
SHOP NOW: Diamancel flexible nail file, $28, sephora.com
Brush With Greatness4 of 9
"Brush a flathead eye shadow brush to your mascara wand, then use the flat brush to apply a coat on your bottom lashes," says Niki Metz, Jouer Cosmetics Executive Director of Artistry. The brush gives you a better angle to apply the mascara, so "you avoid that clumpy look on bottom lashes."
SHOP NOW: Bare Escentuals precision eyeliner brush, $12, bareescentuals.com
Bronze Medal5 of 9
"Apply a touch of bronzer at the bottom tip of your nose to make it appear smaller," says Metz. Use a color that's one or two shades darker than your skin tone.
SHOP NOW: Jouer mineral powder bronzer, $28, jouercosmetics.com
Chill Out6 of 9
"Place your foundation in the fridge in the summer, so when you apply it, it'll help reduce facial swelling on hot summer mornings," says Simone Ciafardini, Vice President of Education & Artistry at Make Up For Ever. "This is an excellent tip for liquid concealers too."
SHOP NOW: AmorePacific cushion compact, $60, nordstrom.com
Smear Campaign7 of 9
Keep your lipstick or eyeliner from smudging on humid days by "spraying your makeup pencils with a fixing spray before applying," says Ciafardini.
SHOP NOW: Make Up For Ever Mist & Fix, $29, sephora.com
Take Cover8 of 9
Put down that bottle of foundation—there's no need to apply it all over your face! "For flawless looking skin, apply foundation only to the center vertical area of the face and blend out from there," says MAC Senior Artist Jane McKay. "Most often, there's no need to wear foundation all over, as it may appear heavy and dated."
SHOP NOW: MAC Mineralize Moisture SPF 15 Foundation, $34, nordstorm.com
Sweet Lips9 of 9
To exfoliate flaky lips and help your lip color stay on longer, "Use a large granular sugar to polish off dry, dead skin before applying lipstick," says Ciafardini.
SHOP NOW: Demerara sugar, $8, surlatable.com
- The 20 top celeb-inspired wedding hairdos
- TV Shows That Were Ahead of Their Time
- Bespoke clutches develop a cult-like following
- Fashion Tricks Everyone Should Master
- 12 Ways to Upgrade a Dorm Room
- How to End a Friendship With Class
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession