Natural Teeth Whiteners
- Next1 of 10Shutterstock
- Previous Next2 of 10Shutterstock
- Previous Next3 of 10Shutterstock
- Previous Next4 of 10Shutterstock
- Previous Next5 of 10Shutterstock
- Previous Next6 of 10Shutterstock
- Previous Next7 of 10Shutterstock
- Previous Next8 of 10Shutterstock
- Previous Next9 of 10Shutterstock
- Previous Next10 of 10Shutterstock
- Natural Teeth Whiteners9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal For Summer
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Light Bright1 of 10
Who doesn't want a brighter, whiter smile? We love these alternative solutions. —Glo
By Woman's Day
If applying peroxides and other chemicals seems a bit harsh, don’t worry. There are plenty of natural ways to score a gleaming grin. Check out these 10 ideas to help make your smile appear brighter, au naturel.
Mix It Up2 of 10
Combine 1/2 tsp baking soda with 1/2 tsp table salt to make a teeth cleanser, says Dorie Byers, author of Natural Beauty Basics. Add one drop of breath-freshening peppermint essential oil to the mixture. Wet your toothbrush, then dip it into the mixture and brush. The particles in the baking soda polish the surface of your teeth, while a chemical reaction with the water lightens stains. To avoid damaging your enamel, don’t use this method more than once a week.
Snack Away3 of 10
“Snack on saliva-producing foods like apples, pears, strawberries, celery and carrots,” says Thomas Connelly, DDS, a New York City cosmetic dentist. The additional saliva they produce helps remove bacteria from your mouth and whiten your teeth.
In The Clay Mold4 of 10
According to Byers, kaolin clay delivers a gentle abrasive action to teeth and can be used as a natural whitening agent. For breath freshening, a drop of peppermint or clove essential oil can be added. Dampen your toothbrush and dip it into the mixture, then brush. To avoid damaging your enamel, don’t use this method more than once a week.
Drink Up5 of 10
“Swish water in your mouth for 30 seconds right after eating,” says Dr. Connelly. “It will help prevent the food you just ate from staining your teeth.”
RELATED ON WOMAN'S DAY: Beauty 911
Get Milk6 of 10
Dr. Connelly also recommends adding a splash of cream or milk to black coffee or tea — it changes the chemistry of the beverage, which makes it much more difficult for stains to adhere to the tooth’s surface.
In the Tube7 of 10
Try a toothpaste that uses all-natural ingredients. Dental hygienist and manager of Tom’s of Maine’s Oral Care Division Susanne Kuehl recommends Tom’s of Maine Simply White Toothpaste, which removes stains with sodium fluoride. Another smart pick — and a favorite of Dr. Connelly’s — is Miessence Organic Mint Toothpaste. It uses spearmint and cinnamon to freshen breath.
Go Green8 of 10
Load up on spinach and other dark green veggies, like broccoli and kale. These leafy greens contain a mineral compound, which produces a film that covers teeth and protects against stains.
RELATED ON WOMAN'S DAY: DIY Facials
Just Say No9 of 10
Avoid soda, which contains acids — like phosphoric, citric, malic and tartaric acids — that can strip your teeth’s enamel. If you have to indulge once in a while, use a straw. It’ll help keep your teeth stain-free.
Smoke & Mirrors10 of 10
Kuehl recommends this quick trick to fake whiter teeth: Wear a blue-tinted lipstick; the cool undertones will make teeth gleam in comparison. We like CoverGirl Wetslicks Amazemint glosses: They were designed for this very purpose, plus they contain breath-freshening peppermint oil.
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- How to Clean Your House in 10 Minutes
- 10 Things You Can Never Change About a Man
- 10 Tricks For Faking Bigger Eyes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession