The ultimate guide for long hair
- Next1 of 9BCBG Spring 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 9Valentin Yudashkin Spring 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next3 of 9BCBG Spring 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next4 of 9Diane Von Furstenberg Spring 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next5 of 9Michael Loccisano/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 9Herve Leger Spring 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next7 of 9BCBG Spring 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next8 of 9Thierry Mugler Spring 2013; Imaxtree
- Previous Next9 of 9Diane Von Furstenberg Spring 2013; Imaxtree
- The ultimate guide for long hair9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Great Lengths1 of 9
By Brienne Walsh
If you've ever tried to grow your hair long, then you know how challenging it can be—strands seem to get thinner and stragglier before they slow to a stop just past your shoulders. To help get hair growing, Glo asked the experts to share their top tips. Find out what it takes to get—and maintain—a Lady Godiva mane.
A Cut Above2 of 9
"Hair grows, on average, a half-inch a month," says Tera Rae Stephens, a celebrity hairstylist in Orange County, Calif. "If you want to grow out your locks, take off a quarter-inch every eight weeks." Her cardinal rule? "If you see split ends, get a trim."
To Dye For3 of 9
It's not just heat that can damage delicate strands—the harsh chemicals in permanent color and bleach can also sap your hair's strength and shine. If you want to play around with color, "Use a semi- or demi-permanent hair color close to your natural shade," says Stephens.
Hot Stuff4 of 9
Protect hair from heat damage by letting it air dry after shampooing. "When it's about 80 percent dry, coat it with a thermal protectant, and smooth it with a blow dryer and a round brush," says Stephens.
Don't Sweat It5 of 9
To avoid harming healthy hair, Stephens recommends braiding long hair when you work out. "That way, the elastic is securing the very bottom of your hair, which can be trimmed as needed."
Long Way Home6 of 9
With long hair, there's no need to spend a lot of money on treatments at a salon. "I really love coconut oil," says Stephens. "Just melt a couple of tablespoons in your hand and then work it from the mid-shaft to the end of the hair." Rinse it out after a few hours, or leave it in overnight.
Striking Oil7 of 9
If your hair is feeling a bit parched, then try washing it less, says Stephens. Don't worry if it gets a little greasy. "The oil provides great nutrition for the older hair at the ends of the shafts," says Stephens, who recommends gently brushing dry strands.
Rest Assured8 of 9
"Sleeping on a silk or satin pillow helps prevent long hair from splitting or breaking," says Patty Colman, president of About Face Products and creator of the Wrinkle Prevention Pillow. "Silk is a fabric with far less friction than cotton. It also contains amino acids that help to protect skin and hair."
Long Story Short9 of 9
The unfortunate truth about long manes is that they aren't possible for all women. "Baby-fine hair doesn't grow out well—it's already so delicate, that it ends up looking stringy when it gets past the shoulder," says Stephens. Curly hair needs to be double the length of straight hair to appear long. "Girls with long, curly hair definitely need to diligently moisturize, because their ends will be a lot older," she says.
- How to train your brain to be more optimistic
- The nail-polish color for your zodiac sign
- New fragrance helps you smell like Pharrell
- 10 everyday objects turned into art
- Best Celebrity Bangs in History
- 13 things women do better than men
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession