Smoke & Mirrors
- Next1 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next2 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next3 of 11RD/Scott Kirkland/Retna Digital
- Previous Next4 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next5 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next6 of 11Kevin Mazur/WireImage
- Previous Next7 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next8 of 11CAMERA PRESS/Caroline Eluyemi/ Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next9 of 11Imaxtree.com
- Previous Next10 of 11Jeff Vespa/WireImage
- Previous Next11 of 11Kevin Mazur/WireImage
- Smoke & Mirrors9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
The New Smoky Eye1 of 11
By Zoe Schaeffer
Now a classic look, the smoky eye is undeniably gorgeous. But all that black can feel heavy at times. That’s why we welcome fall’s colorful alternatives: Shadows in chocolate, taupe and burgundy are easy to wear and flattering on most, but give that same sultry effect as the original style.
Flying Colors2 of 11
“A smoky eye doesn’t have to be black,” explains celebrity makeup artist for Physician’s Formula Joanna Schlip. “Today’s colorful versions in navy, brown and even lavender look more modern.” A fine example of this new look? The hazy chocolate shadow paired with glossy mauve lips at Anna Sui’s bohemian chic show.
Bright Eyes3 of 11
Kristen Stewart matched her smoky green-blue shadow to her light eyes for a youthful but sophisticated look. Take note: Light shadows can still look sultry — as Kristen effortlessly demonstrates.
Simply Put4 of 11
Calvin Klein proved that even soft taupe eyes can look smoldering by teaming them with slicked-to-the-side ponies and the line's famously minimal designs. We’re not sure it gets any more modern than this.
Copper Tone5 of 11
For his fall show, all eyes were on Alexander Wang not only for his edgy, urban collection, but for his trend-setting beauty. (We have him to thank for last season’s “side braid” craze!) His use of warm brown and burnt red creamy shadows created an unexpected smoky look that was (not surprisingly) ahead of the curve.
All That Glitters6 of 11
When it comes to rocking the red carpet, Nicole Richie doesn’t miss a beat and this head-turning ensemble’s no exception. We think her gunmetal gray shadow was the best accessory choice for her silver sequin gown
High Brow7 of 11
At Vera Wang, blended sandy shadows were accented by severe brows, creating a powerful look. But for an even bolder nighttime effect, try adding a bit of shimmer along the lash line.
Restraining Order8 of 11
Forget the black-rimmed eyes that populated the red carpet in seasons past. Angelina Jolie proves that soft and subtle is elegant and in. But then again, we think she’d look stunning in a paper bag.
Wine Tasting9 of 11
Deep burgundy shadow was swiped across brown liner for a super warm effect at Roberto Cavalli. And we can’t help but notice the gorgeous gold highlighter on the inner corners — one of our favorite tricks for making eyes look wider in a snap!
Mixed Metals10 of 11
Soft browns were blended with bronze and gold for Ashley Greene’s show-stopping look on the red carpet. Keeping the rest simple (a nude lip and no liner) makes the look fresh.
Going Gray11 of 11
Muted gray lids, arched brows and a bit of highlighter gave Zoe Saldana an ethereal look at the Met Gala. We think adding simple, pulled-back hair and a sleek asymmetrical gown was a study in minimalist perfection.
- How to Be Funny: 9 Essential Tips
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- New shopping service makes office-wear effortless
- How To Dress Like Your Favorite Cartoon
- 15 Most Unforgettable Celebrity Brows
- 9 Ways Your House Can Help You Stay Fit
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession