Spring's sexiest new nail polish trends
- Next1 of 14Jean Paul Gaultier Spring 2013: Imaxtree
- Previous Next2 of 14Courtesy of Essie
- Previous Next3 of 14Courtesy of Nars
- Previous Next4 of 14Courtesy of RGB
- Previous Next5 of 14Courtesy of Dolce & Gabbana
- Previous Next6 of 14Courtesy of Deborah Lippmann
- Previous Next7 of 14Courtesy of Sally Hansen
- Previous Next8 of 14Courtesy of Illamasqua
- Previous Next9 of 14Courtesy of CND
- Previous Next10 of 14Courtesy of Jin Soon
- Previous Next11 of 14Courtesy of Top Shop
- Previous Next12 of 14Courtesy of MAC
- Previous Next13 of 14Courtesy of Zoya
- Previous Next14 of 14Courtesy of Sally Hansen
- Spring's sexiest new nail polish trends9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal For Summer
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Hands Up!1 of 14
By Zoe Schaeffer
Nails are the best way to test-drive the latest trends—you can sample them without having to commit to a head-to-toe look. This season welcomes a whole new crop of colors and styles—including muted metallic, feminine mauve and edgy eggplant. Check out all the hues having their moment this spring.
Dark Angel2 of 14
Designers usually save vampy shades for fall, but this season they were a runway staple. Marchesa went dark and edgy with a deep burgundy like this one.
SHOP NOW: Essie Nail Polish in Carry On, $8
Dancing Queen3 of 14
Muted metallics were a strong look for spring—they popped up on T-shirts at Acne and capelets at Burberry. From the makeup company that consistently creates cult shades comes this latest buzzed-about polish: a silvery lilac with notes of green. Wear it for both your mani and pedi to make a real statement.
SHOP NOW: Nars Nail Polish in Disco Inferno, $19
Bare Necessity4 of 14
Designers that usually deliver some edge—like Marc Jacobs and Dolce & Gabbana—opted for a perennial spring favorite: the prim, pale nail. This super-soft pink shade is sheer and easy to wear.
SHOP NOW: RGB Nail Polish in S1, $16
Mint Chip5 of 14
Peter Som and Rebecca Minkoff both chose a minty green hue for their spring shows. In step with the pretty pastels shown in many of the spring collections, the pale hue feels fresh and wearable.
SHOP NOW: Dolce & Gabbana Nail Polish in Mint, $24
Mod Mauve6 of 14
Whether opaque or sheer, mauve is spring's newest neutral. Celebrity manicurist Deborah Lippmann calls it "modern, chic and feminine" and used this flattering shade at Badgley Mischka's romantic spring show.
SHOP NOW: Deborah Lippmann Nail Polish in Modern Love, $17
Graphic Design7 of 14
Roland Mouret's geometrical two-toned manicure was eye-catching without being too edgy. His cool look was achieved with a bold red swiped at a 45-degree angle over the tip. Try painting the entire nail for a vampy-chic look.
Going Green8 of 14
Emerald popped up in collections like Stella McCartney and Christian Dior, while Sephora + Pantone Universe named it the color of the year. For a wearable version of the shade, paint on a poppy blue-green similar to the color seen at Kenzo.
SHOP NOW: Illamasqua Nail Varnish in Venous, $14
Nude & Improved9 of 14
The trend-setting Mulleavy sisters of Rodarte created a "Modern Medieval" manicure with both texture and contrast for their spring show. This peachy honey shade, the base of their design, is flattering for all skin tones.
SHOP NOW: CND Colour in Desert Suede, $9
Flower Power10 of 14
New York polish maven Jin Soon had models-of-the-moment like Saskia de Brauw and Fei Fei Sun name some of the spring shades in her Botanical Flowers collection that was inspired by NYC blooms.
SHOP NOW: Jin Soon Botanical Flower Collection Polish, $18 each
Metal Heads11 of 14
Behnaz Sarafpour's galaxy of specked tips and Monika Chiang's racing stripes are just a couple of the new ways to bring the metallic trend to nails. Less adventurous types who want to try the trend can go for the gold in this subtle way.
SHOP NOW: Topshop Make Up Nail Polish in Ice Crush, $12
Glam Gold12 of 14
At Jeremy Scott, models rocked gold talons, while at Rebecca Taylor, nails were painted with a beautiful burnished shade. The latter were lacquered with this easy-to-wear metallic shade that looks chic on both long and short nails.
SHOP NOW: MAC Nail Polish in Screaming Bright, $16
Code Red13 of 14
The spring shows also made room for a classic red nail—Ruffian went bright, and Douglas Hannant kept it on the softer side. Choose a version of the timeless hue that best suits your mood for spring.
SHOP NOW: Zoya Pixie Dust Nail Polish in Miranda, $9
Mottle Behavior14 of 14
The heavy-hitting fashion duo behind Proenza Schouler sent models down the runway in marbleized designs—a style that's modern and fresh. You can take the trend to a new level with similarly patterned at-home polish stickers like this one.
SHOP NOW: Sally Hansen Salon Effects in Sweet Marble Floret, $9
- Leo's annual astrological guide
- 9 Style Staples Every 30-Year-Old Should Own
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- 11 Affordable Ways To Decorate A Blank Wall
- How To Look Like Jenny McCarthy In Your 40s
- 10 Shocking Stories About Returning Clothes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession