40 Best New Nail Polishes for Fall
- Next1 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next2 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next3 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next4 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next5 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next6 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next7 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next8 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next9 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next10 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next11 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next12 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next13 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next14 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next15 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next16 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next17 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next18 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next19 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next20 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next21 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- Previous Next22 of 22Courtesy of ELLE
- 40 Best New Nail Polishes for Fall7 Foods That Fight Aging
- How to Get Rid of Under-Eye Circles
- The 100 Best Salons in the Country
- The 20 top celeb-inspired wedding hairdos
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- How to pick killer shadow for your eyes
- Runway-fresh: Hair & makeup for the fall
- 8 products to up your post-vacation glow
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
Color Me Good1 of 22
By Taegen Tanner for ELLE
Nail art may be dying down, but the right color is everything this season. We rounded up the top trends on the catwalks and whittled down the lacquers you need now for getting each look.
Nail Noir2 of 22
While black still cast its spell on nails on the fall runways, new alternatives to the moody hue also enchanted us. Think oxbloods, midnight blues, amethysts, and mossy and emerald greens. Though pros often match dark lacquer hues to shorter nails, Chanel manicurist Ashlie Johnson warned, "Dark pigments can sometimes make your hands look a little unladylike if your nails are super-short." Instead, she advised saving your duskier varnishes for nails that are "just past the fingertip and filed to more of an almond or oval shape. This will help elongate your fingers."
Spill Some Oxblood3 of 22
Last fall's "it" clothing color is having a revival, making its way onto your digits this season.
In the Navy4 of 22
These blue hues are reminiscent of a clear, calm midnight sky.
ON ELLE: 10 Cool Mani-Pedi Combos to Try Now
Purple Reign5 of 22
Amethyst polish gives off a regal air, but these colors are far more fun than fussy.
Green With Envy6 of 22
Mossy and emerald hues are ideal for fall manis.
Electric Company7 of 22
When tapered talons lit up in the hottest fuchsia ever at Kate Spade (pictured here), the heaviness of autumn seemed to lift for a moment. The manicurist behind both looks, Deborah Lippmann, predicted that bold color and textures are what will speak to women this season. "Put your sheer pinks away," she said. Instead, coat nails in electric hues, like poppy, fiery orange, chartreuse, ultraviolet, and bright cobalt, for the perfect fall pick-me-up.
Poppy Talk8 of 22
Brighten up your fall wardrobe with this eye-catching, happy hue.
ON ELLE: How To Pull Off Bright Nail Polish
Fire It Up9 of 22
Pumpkin-colored polish is perfectly on-trend.
ON ELLE: 8 Best Foods for Gorgeous Skin
Hello, Yellow!10 of 22
This color is the perfect pick-me-up.
Blue Crush11 of 22
Ultraviolet and cobalt shades add some excitement to your polish collection.
Metallic Mania12 of 22
Though burnished gold struck, well, gold on fall runways, Johnson recommended training your eyes to unusual tinny hues. "Metallics are always a huge hit, and why wouldn't they be when they seem to match everything? This is a trend that reigns over and over, but for fall we'll see it with a twist," she said, citing Chanel Limited Edition Le Vernis Nail Colour in Alchimie, a mossy green chrome, as a perfect example. While full-coverage chromes dazzle, the newest additions to the metallic family have a holographic, shade-shifting effect.
Shade-Shifters13 of 22
These polishes change slightly in the light, creating multifaceted manis.
Heavy Metal14 of 22
Rock on with burnished colors that will bring out your edgier side.
SHOP NOW: Estée Lauder Pure Color Vivid Shine Nail Lacquer in Brushed Gold, $20; Formula X for Sephora The Chromes in Need for Speed, $13; Chanel Le Vernis Nail Colour in Alchimie, $27; Maybelline New York Color Show Holographics in Lavendar Lustre, $3
Go, Go Glitter!15 of 22
Innovation is alive and well when it comes to glitzed digits with matte glitter suspended in swarthy hues, glitter in graffiti splatters, or opaque micro-shimmer swimming in color-complementary (think: gold and purple) large glitter particles. And, if full-coverage flash seems too sparkle-heavy, manicurist Dawn Sterling offered this advice: "Wear a clear or neutral base color and swipe glitter polish across the tips of your nails. This is a simpler yet eye-catching way to wear your glitter."
Micro Sparkle16 of 22
Test the waters on glittery nails with these subtler polishes.
Mega Wattage17 of 22
For a super-bold look, try chunkier glitter that's sure to get your nails noticed.
Matte About You18 of 22
Almost every other fall runway fixated on shine-free fingertips—and it's no wonder. Neutrals, like creams and mushrooms, feel more modern with a matte finish, while jewel tones dressed in matte appear velvety smooth. "Matte adds body to nail color," Sterling said. "It takes the finish from being shiny like candy to having tons of character, as well as some toughness." Just steer clear of formulas that dry streaky or chalky, which will only make your manicure too flat.
Top It Off19 of 22
These top coats give any polish a matte finish.
The New Neutrals20 of 22
There's no denying that skin-flattering nudes make fingers look sleek. Warm buff and taupe aren't the only neutrals to gain favor this fall; cooler mushroom and soft gray provide a welcome respite from the flood of super-darks this season. Sterling explained that part of neutral shades' allure is their classic, timeless appeal. "Neutrals are great because they'll always be beautiful no matter which range you select—warm or cool! They're clean; they're chic. I love this look all year-round."
Warming Up21 of 22
These toasty shades will add warmth when fall temperatures drop.
Cool Runnings22 of 22
These icy hues are sleek and sophisticated.
SHOP NOW: Marc Jacobs Beauty Enamored High-Shine Lacquer in Delphine, $19; Nars Nail Polish in Galathée, $19; Ciaté Paint Pot in Tear Drop, $15
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession