The best celeb long hair of all time
- Next1 of 16Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next3 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next4 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next5 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next6 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next7 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next8 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next9 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next10 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next11 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next12 of 16Scott Gries/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 16SGranitz/WireImage
- Previous Next14 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next15 of 16Courtesy of Cosmopolitan
- Previous Next16 of 16Dimitrios Kambouris/Getty Images
The Best Long Hairstyles of All Time1 of 16
By Tia Williams for Cosmopolitan
Long hair is, was, and will always be ridiculously hot. From Veronica Lake’s flirty wartime curls to Gisele’s piece-y, beachy waves, here are our 15 favorite long hairstyles of all time.
Eveyln Nesbit2 of 16
The Gilded Age chorus girl and artists’ model (she was the original “Gibson Girl”) singlehandedly popularized cascading, pre-Raphaelite locks in the early 1900s.
ON COSMOPOLITAN: Sexiest Movie Hairstyles of All Time
Veronica Lake3 of 16
Practically everyone in the 1940s copied this movie star’s signature peek-a-boo style—except for factory workers. They were forbidden to wear it, since it was dangerous to use only one eye while operating heavy machinery!
ON COSMOPOLITAN: The Hottest Ponytails We've Ever Seen
Brigitte Bardot4 of 16
In the early 60s, the French siren piled half of her bodacious blond curls on top of her head, letting bangs and face-framing tendrils escape…et voilá! A star was born.
ON COSMOPOLITAN: Easy Updos Anyone Can Do Themselves
Stevie Nicks5 of 16
With her wispy bangs, choppy layers, and haphazard waves, this boho-witchy woman had some truly epic long hair.
ON COSMOPOLITAN: The Most Stylish Celebrity Bangs
Cher6 of 16
Who remembers the cheesy numbers in The Sonny and Cher Show? It was all about the superstar’s endless, luxurious, center-parted hippie hair.
Jerry Hall7 of 16
In 1980, supermodel Jerry Hall kicked off the era of excess with her crazy thick, honey-blond mermaid mane. Those locks scored her a Rolling Stone!
Whitney Houston8 of 16
We’re not sure what was bigger in 1987, the chic singer’s massively teased-and-crimped coiffure or her larger-than-life voice.
Julia Roberts9 of 16
In 1989, America fell hard for this pretty woman’s toothy grin, peerless charm and, most significantly, her mile-long, cinnamon-kissed auburn curls.
Shannen Doherty10 of 16
Back in 1992, the wild child otherwise known as Brenda Walsh served up picture-perfect '90s hair: Teased, be-banged, and sprayed to within an inch of its life!
Mariah Carey11 of 16
Newly freed from her claustrophobic first marriage, Mimi sexed it up in the late '90s, big time. Think cleavage, sun-kissed skin, and mounds of honey-blond layers stretching to her waist.
Gisele Bundchen12 of 16
Truly ahead of her time, the Brazilian supermodel rocked ombre before it was ombre! Her impossibly long, beachy waves became gradually more golden closer to the ends—and everyone from seventh grade boys to seen-it-all fashionistas loved it.
Sarah Jessica Parker13 of 16
At the 2000 Emmy Awards, the Sex & the City star wore her elbow-length strands in a slicked-back, uber-sophisticated princess 'do. So pretty with her now-legendary Oscar de la Renta ballerina ballgown.
Gwyneth Paltrow14 of 16
An off-center part and volume at the crown added polish to the Oscar winner’s long, effortlessly tousled tresses. Easy-breezy chic.
Beyoncé15 of 16
In a nod to Veronica Lake, Bey showed up to the 2007 Grammys with her waist-length copper curls casually tossed over one shoulder. So pretty!
Blake Lively16 of 16
The Gossip Girl is widely considered to have the best hair in Hollywood, and for good reason. It’s miles-long, thick, and sexy-sunny—plus, her tresses always look chic, whether she wears them loose and wavy or in a cool-girl fishtail braid.
NEXT ON COSMOPOLITAN: Shocking Celeb Beauty Secrets
- The 20 top celeb-inspired wedding hairdos
- TV Shows That Were Ahead of Their Time
- Bespoke clutches develop a cult-like following
- Fashion Tricks Everyone Should Master
- 12 Ways to Upgrade a Dorm Room
- How to End a Friendship With Class
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession