How to do a deep-berry lip
- Next1 of 9IMAXTREE/Saunders
- Previous Next2 of 9Courtesy of Aveda
- Previous Next3 of 9Courtesy of Chantecaille
- Previous Next4 of 9Courtesy of Sonia Kashuk
- Previous Next5 of 9Courtesy of L'Oreal
- Previous Next6 of 9Courtesy of Neals Yard
- Previous Next7 of 9Courtesy of Topshop
- Previous Next8 of 9Courtesy of Urban Decay
- Previous Next9 of 9Courtesy of Nars
- How to do a deep-berry lip9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal For Summer
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
The Wine List1 of 9
By Melissa Magsaysay and Laura Vogel
Intrigued by the dark-berry lip trend but worried it might look too Goth? Makeup artist Sonia Kashuk shares her tips and tricks for making a wine hue work, no matter your skin tone. Cheers!
Elegant & Accessible2 of 9
"Berry- and wine-colored lips are the pout of the season for sure," says makeup artist Sonia Kashuk. "But the look is not so Goth as it is pretty and monochromatic—and very feminine." To make the tone less intense, try a burgundy hue in a lighter, less-pigmented formula, like this one from Aveda.
SHOP NOW: Aveda NourishMint Smoothing Lip Color in Rare Orchid Lip, $16
Mellow & Mature3 of 9
"A mauve- or rose-colored lip is still on trend for fall and can be better for someone who is afraid to try something more intense," says Kashuk. She recommends Chantecaille's new gloss in Fig, which will flatter almost any complexion.
SHOP NOW: Chantecaille Luminous Gloss in Fig, $34
Great Definition4 of 9
Another trick for toning down the intensity of a color and making sure it stays put? "Wear a lip stain or apply a darker lipstick with a lip brush so it's not as intense," she says. (The brush will also give you more control, making it easier to get even coverage.)
SHOP NOW: Sonia Kashuk Satin Luxe Lip Color with SPF 16 in Plum Wine, $10
Chocolaty Undertones5 of 9
"On darker skin, blue-based lipsticks might be too bright, so go with a brown base lip color," says Kashuk. "A chocolate base is richer and deeper and very warming." A lightweight satin is perfect for a night out on the town.
SHOP NOW: L'Oréal Colour Riche Caresse in Satiny Cocoa, $10
Plummy & Bright6 of 9
"For a woman with light skin, a blue-based plum will be bright and vibrant," explains Kashuk, who says that the plum gloss will help light up your whole face.
SHOP NOW: Neal's Yard Lip Gloss in Plum, $16
Polished & Powerful7 of 9
For a more understated, office-appropriate look, Kashuk prefers "plum and wine tones in a matte or a stain formula rather than a gloss." A marker is a perfect choice for application.
SHOP NOW: Topshop Lip Marker in Berry, $15
A Smooth Finish8 of 9
According to Kashuk, if your lips are chapped or creased, the color can make this more apparent. She advises using a gloss and concentrating color at the center of the top and bottom lip and using your fingers to pull it out to the corners.
Well Balanced9 of 9
Wearing the burgundy-lip trend isn't only about what you put on your kisser. "It's about balancing the lips with a cheek color and lid color in the same color family to make it look less severe. If the skin is too pale, the look can be too intense," says Kashuk, who recommends a sheer cream blush in the same color family as your lipstick.
SHOP NOW: Nars Cream Blush in Montenegro, $28
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- How to Clean Your House in 10 Minutes
- 10 Things You Can Never Change About a Man
- 10 Tricks For Faking Bigger Eyes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession