11 Shockingly Short Celeb Haircuts of 2013
- Next1 of 12Michael Kovac/Getty Images; Gregg DeGuire/WireImage; via @Beyonce; Fred Duval/FilmMagic
- Previous Next2 of 12James Devaney/WireImage
- Previous Next3 of 12Rodrigo Vaz/FilmMagic
- Previous Next4 of 12Gregg DeGuire/WireImage
- Previous Next5 of 12Fred Duval/FilmMagic
- Previous Next6 of 12Jason Merritt/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 12Michael Kovac/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 12Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next9 of 12Jeff Vespa/WireImage
- Previous Next10 of 12Jon Kopaloff/FilmMagic
- Previous Next11 of 12247PapsTV/Splash News
- Previous Next12 of 12via @Beyonce
- 11 Shockingly Short Celeb Haircuts of 20139 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Year of the Pixie1 of 12
By Brienne Walsh
From Jennifer Lawrence's choppy crop to Beyonce's short-lived pixie, short hair ruled 2013. We rounded up 11 celebrities who surprised everyone with their gamine new 'dos, plus got celebrity hairstylist Anh Co Tran—who's worked with Ginnifer Goodwin, Winona Ryder and Renee Zellweger—to weigh in on the trend.
Tres Chic2 of 12
Jennifer Lawrence debuted a messy yet sophisticated take on the pixie. "Americans have been obsessed with long hair for a while, but it's finally changing," says Tran. In his opinion, young stars like Lawrence adopting the style is a nod to an elegant French aesthetic—and a signal that women now want a more stylized look.
Go Natural3 of 12
Tran says that the best pixie cuts look lived-in minutes after they're cut. Take Kristin Chenoweth, who cut her hair in November, but looks as if she's been rocking it for years. In order to achieve this look on clients, Tran avoids straight edges in his cut and uses texturizing products to get a natural-looking appearance.
Face Value4 of 12
"A pixie opens up the whole face, which is why it's such a bold move," says Tran. In Jennifer Hudson's case, her chop showcases her strong features and perfect skin.
Layer Up5 of 12
Pixies work particularly well on youthful faces like Elsa Pataky's. The actress's layered chop makes the short style look feminine and alluring.
Pump It Up6 of 12
Charlize Theron adds volume to her pixie, lifting it at the roots for a more textured look.
Look Sharp7 of 12
Tran, who cut Coco Rocha's pixie himself, kept the edges of her hair soft to balance out the model's angular face. "She has small features, so it's a look that really works for her," he says.
So Slick8 of 12
A pixie cut can revolutionize a young actress's look. Just take a look at Shailene Woodley, whose short, slicked-down cut emphasizes her eyes and heart-shaped face.
Fringe Benefit9 of 12
Robin Wright kept her pixie cut youthful by adding bangs, which Tran says prevent the cut from maturing a woman.
Frame of Mind10 of 12
Elisabeth Moss' pixie is a flattering style, with the long, feathery pieces around her face softening her features. "If you put a nice frame around a pretty face, it only makes it prettier," says Tran.
New Leaf11 of 12
Of all the celebrities who chopped off their locks this year, Tran was most surprised by how well the pixie suited Pamela Anderson. "She looks stunning," he says. The dramatic style instantly gives Anderson a sleek, sophisticated look.
Quick Change12 of 12
Beyoncé revealed a cute pixie cut on Instagram this year, but returned to a longer hairstyle after a week with the help of extensions. "I like her better with long hair, but if she were to soften up the pixie and have it longer on top, I think it could really work for her," says Tran.
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession