What Her Tattoo Says About Her
- Next1 of 12Janet Mayer / Splash News
- Previous Next2 of 12Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next3 of 12Brian Hineline/Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next4 of 12Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next5 of 12Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next6 of 12Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next7 of 12Jackson Lee/Splash News
- Previous Next8 of 12Sara De Boer/Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next9 of 12Anthea Simms/CAMERA PRESS/Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next10 of 12Chris Ashford/CAMERA PRESS/Retna Ltd.
- Previous Next11 of 12Fernanda Calfat/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 12CAMERA PRESS/David Dyson/Retna Ltd.
- What Her Tattoo Says About Her9 Things You Need to Stop Doing to Your Skin ASAP
- 15 Pretty Celeb Looks To Steal
- Beauty Secrets From A VS Supermodel
- 8 Unusual Beauty Tips You've Never Heard Of
- The 9 Hottest Nail Colors For Summer 2014
- 10 Beauty & Style Trends From South America
- Outrageous Nails: International Edition
- 13 Waterproof Beauty Products That Work
- 11 Cult Makeup & Hair Products From Asia
- 12 Ways You Apply Your Makeup Wrong
- This Season's Hottest Blonde Hair Colors
- 10 Essential Makeup Tips For Blondes
- 15 Most Iconic Blondes Of All Time
- Glo Tested: The Best Sunscreens for Summer
- 9 Short & Easy Celeb Haircuts To Steal Now
- 12 Beauty Secrets From a Top TV Host
- 13 Drugstore Beauty Buys the Experts Swear By
- 20 Life-Changing Ways To Use Bobby Pins
- 18 Next-Big-Thing Beauty Products
Inked In1 of 12
By Abby Gardener
The types of women sporting "ink" these days run the gamut from moms to models to major trendsetters. And while some of their permanent choices are very sweet— like Jennifer Aniston's brand new homage to her dog, Norman— some are also very questionable. Here's a look at some of the standards.
His Name2 of 12
The sad truth is that a lot of relationships don't last ... especially ones as publicly passionate as Angelina and Billy Bob's. The blood around the neck may have been creepier, but it was way less permanent and didn't require cover-up ink or laser removal.
Tramp Stamp3 of 12
It's kind of all in the name, isn't it? And by the way "tramp stamp" is officially in the dictionary. Now the lower back tattoo is often found on ladies who may or may not have made a drunken bad decision while spring-breaking in South Padre. Let's just say, most don't associate it with the word "class."
The Wrist4 of 12
We've got lots of friends with simple wrist art. It's subtle to the point that some people won't even know you have it. Just make sure it has some lifelong significance as you'll be seeing it every day.
The Ring5 of 12
Getting a permanent ring inked on your body as a symbol of your marital commitment to someone else is a grand gesture. But if things go south, you can't just take it off.
The Spell-Check6 of 12
Never was there a greater need for fact-checking than when you're writing a permanent statement on your body. Take Hayden Panettiere here: Her tat is supposed to be Italian for "to live without regrets," but sadly one of the words is spelled wrong. D'oh.
The Foreign Language7 of 12
Rihanna recently suffered the same mistaken fate with her "Rebelle Fleur," which we're guessing she meant to read, "rebel flower." However in proper French, the two words would be reversed in order to have that meaning. Note to self: Check with a native speaker on all languages and symbols.
The Footer8 of 12
Much like the wrist tattoo, the top of the foot is subtle and often found on fancy — yet groovy —ladies like Charlize Theron (pictured). It also indicates a level of toughness as the thin skin on the foot is supposedly one of the most painful spots to get inked.
The Over-The-Top9 of 12
Well, Eve, it's hard to know what to say about your paw prints. Are you a big cat person? Are you tough like a tiger or panther? To each her own, but that placement is very obvious, and I feel like you must have to explain your art all the time. Do something over-the-top like this and it would seem you want to discuss it.
The Shoulder Show-Off10 of 12
Again, picking this spot on your body means you want to show this baby to the world. Choose wisely as you can come off looking silly, like when you have a cartoonish lion like Christina Ricci or, say, your sorority letters — unless you really are that hard-core about large cats or Pi Phi.
The Job Symbol11 of 12
Chanel Iman is a model. Models wear clothes. Chanel picked a hanger to put on her neck. This sort of extremely literal tattoo would seem to indicate that you made that decision rashly and at a young age. Remember that most of us can't pull off things the same way models can, and we probably won't keep the same job from the age of 16.
The Armband12 of 12
Somehow the barbed wire armband doesn't seem out of place on Pam, making her second appearance on our list. But imagine it on any other woman you know, and you would think she might have lost her marbles.
NEXT GALLERY: What His Tattoo Says About Him