How To Layer Like A Street Style Pro
- Next1 of 12Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- Previous Next2 of 12Timur Emek/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 12Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- Previous Next4 of 12Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- Previous Next5 of 12Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- Previous Next6 of 12Daniel Zuchnik/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 12Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- Previous Next8 of 12Daniel Zuchnik/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 12Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- Previous Next10 of 12Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- Previous Next11 of 12Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- Previous Next12 of 12Kirstin Sinclair/FilmMagic
- How To Layer Like A Street Style ProSkincare Secrets for Every Age
- Take Note: Schoolgirl Style to Copy This Fall
- 10 Celeb Beauty Secrets Reveals
- How to Go Gray Gracefully
- Elle Cover: Anna Kendrick On Her Sex Appeal
- 8 Most Flattering Colors for Blondes
- 10 Best Street Style Outfits From Brazil
- 10 Summer Trends In Plus-Size Clothing
- Easy Ways To Instantly Look More Fashionable
- The Best Of Cannes Street Style 2014
- How To Create Fall's Beauty Looks At Home
- Look Irresistible In Your Online Dating Profile
- 10 Jeans To Make You Look Skinnier
- World Cup Kicks Off a Fashion Trend
- 10 Perfect Wedding Guest Outfits Under $100
- 10 Ways To Wear Orthotic-Friendly Shoes
- 12 Stylish Alternatives To Wearing Jeans
- Elle Cover: Angelina Jolie Opens Up About Brad
- Where are these top models now?
Layer It On1 of 12
By Tiffany Tse
Everyone knows that the solution to staying warm and stylish in the winter is layering, but understanding how to pull it off—without looking bulky or sloppy—isn't as obvious. To help you master the technique, we've rounded up ten stellar fashion examples from the streets of Paris, London and New York. See how these real women play with lengths, textures and cuts for layered perfection.
Mix Master2 of 12
Black and white keeps this layered look cohesive and fashion-forward. Don't be afraid to mix patterns, just keep the color palette tight and balance small prints with larger, over-sized ones for a smart, pulled-together ensemble.
Shorts Story3 of 12
The fashion student gives her shorts a seasonally appropriate spin by styling them with an oversize tartan jacket, sweater and dark tights.
White Out4 of 12
Pull off winter whites by playing with proportions and texture, like a cozy short-sleeve sweater over a silky long blouse.
On The Button5 of 12
To upgrade a basic button-down, wear it underneath a short-sleeve sweater and add a crystal bib necklace.
Good Jeans6 of 12
Lend polish to a faded jean jacket by layering tailored outerwear over it, like this New Yorker does with her camel coat.
Suit & Tie7 of 12
Borrow from the boys and combine tailored pieces, like a coat, blazer and oxford shirt. Throw on a pair of pointy-toe pumps for a touch of femininity.
Knit Wit8 of 12
Layer a shrunken moto jacket over a crochet sweater and collared shirt to create a bundled-up look that's fresh and playful.
Puff Piece9 of 12
A printed blouse and cuffed jeans elevate a puffy jacket.
Vested Interest10 of 12
Try out one of fall's hottest trends—the sophisticated blazer vest—by wearing it over a T-shirt and skinny jeans.
Go Long11 of 12
Experiment with lengths by pairing a sweater over a knee-length tunic and cropped jeans.
Blue Crush12 of 12
How to break up a colorful look? Drape a neutral jacket over your shoulders and finish with similarly understated accessories.