How To Protect Your Hair From The Sun
By Abby Gardner
While it may have become part of your daily routine to cover your skin in sunscreen — or at least we hope it has — we're guessing that many of you sometimes forget about your hair and your scalp. But it's important that you remember ... for the sake of your skin and that color you dropped so much money on at the salon.
We talked to two celebrity colorists about how to guard your hair from the rays this summer: Rita Hazan (who owns the Rita Hazan Salon in New York and is the genius responsible for the gorgeous color of celebs like Jessica Simpson and Jennifer Lopez) and Michael Canale, of the newly opened Safire McMillan Canale Salon in Malibu. He and business partner Chris McMillan are the secret behind Jennifer Aniston's enviable locks.
Because the sun is a natural bleaching agent, it will most certainly affect your color. But Michael says you can use this to your benefit, if you do things properly: "Sun exposure can take the ashy edge off of highlighted hair. However, bases can be damaged by the sun, as it releases the natural warmth of the hair to create a copper-orange tone."
Here are some of Michael and Rita's tips for taking care of your hair this season:
• Both highly recommend wearing a hat to protect both your hair and the easily sunburned skin on your scalp. (We all know the peeling that comes after one of those burns is not very attractive.)
• Use UV protectant products. Rita is a big fan of Phyto Plage Protective Sun Veil and Michael loves the Kerastase Soleil line (which also helps protects your hair from chlorine in pools and ocean salt water).
• Michael also suggests wearing your hair in a braid and using gloss and shine products that will guard your hair from the sun and extend the time between salon visits.
• If you need to touch your color up at home in between appointments, Michael suggests sticking to golden tones and using a lighter shade around the hairline, for a more natural look.
• Rita loves taking her clients a little lighter during summer months: "You can pull it off, especially if you're sun-kissed." But she says you need to hit the salon just as often because "roots are not fabulous!"
Jennifer Aniston, following her colorist's advice and wearing a cute braid in her hair for sun protection.Will Binns / PacificCoastNews.com
- 7 Ways to Grow Out Your Bangs Gracefully
- Virgo's Personalized Astrological Guide
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- The Ultimate Guide to Granny Chic
- Esquire: 14 Books Every Man Should Read
- 10 Style Rebels Who Changed Fashion
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession