A Party-Perfect Kitchen
Create a space your guests will love
6. Create atmosphere.
Your kitchen is so much more than a work-space. Switch out light bulbs to soft pink, light delicious-smelling candles (but nothing that will compete with food smells; Powers loves cilantro-orange candles), and use earth-friendly, scented sprays to wipe down your counter. (She loves parsley spray, and others available at ecos.com.)
7. Scape your table.
“An interesting tablescape in the kitchen or dining room is fun to look at, and it can be a conversation piece,” Powers says. She loves to pile homegrown tomatoes from her yard on a beautiful tray. Other ideas: Buy a bag of oranges and lemons and put them in a bowl; fill bowls with various candies; put out a series of bud vases, each with a single stem; or arrange pretty flowers and leaves from your yard into found vases (like vintage milk jugs or mason jars).
ON ELLE DECOR: Inside Keri Russell's Brooklyn's Brownstone
- 7 Ways to Grow Out Your Bangs Gracefully
- Virgo's Personalized Astrological Guide
- New shopping service makes office-wear effortless
- The Ultimate Guide to Granny Chic
- Esquire: 14 Books Every Man Should Read
- 10 Style Rebels Who Changed Fashion
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession