- Next1 of 12Courtesy of Robert Harvey Oshatz
- Previous Next2 of 12Courtesy of Vandeventer + Carlander Architects
- Previous Next3 of 12Courtesy of Confused Direction Architects
- Previous Next4 of 12Courtesy of Salt and Sill Hotel
- Previous Next5 of 12Courtesy of Aaron Leitz
- Previous Next6 of 12Courtesy of Eric Boucher
- Previous Next7 of 12Courtesy of Confused Direction Architects
- Previous Next8 of 12Courtesy of Neiman Marcus
- Previous Next9 of 12Florian Holzherr, Courtesy of MOS Design
- Previous Next10 of 12Courtesy of Robert Harvey Oshatz.
- Previous Next11 of 12Courtesy of Architekten-MF
- Previous Next12 of 12Courtesy of +31Architects
Floating Fantasy1 of 12
By Janet Hall at Remodelista
Remember Tom Hanks’s houseboat in Sleepless in Seattle? Well, water retreats like his are far from modest bachelor pads. They can act as minimalist modern mansions or even converted car ferries, so come on a tour of the most extreme houseboats. Trust us when we say, they are making million-dollar waves.
Metallic Mansion2 of 12
Boasting a rooftop sundeck with an unobstructed view of Seattle’s Space Needle, this modern abode, designed by Vandeventer + Carlander Architects, bobs atop Lake Union and can be yours for $3.45 million.
On REMODELISTA: A Summer Surf-Lodge in New York
Water Sport3 of 12
The SchwimmHausBoot incorporates a green roof and recycled building materials into its childlike design. Confused Direction Architects in Germany crafted the home to travel, but to be a more permanent residence.
ON REMODELISTA: Take a House Tour in Amsterdam
Ocean View4 of 12
Can’t commit to full-time living afloat? Consider a floating hotel, like Salt & Sill Hotel in Sweden. The 23-room floating barge boasts the world’s fastest sauna-boat and five conference rooms. Talk about an awesome company retreat.
ON REMODELISTA: A Light-Flooded Photographer's Studio in Canada
Dock Of The Bay5 of 12
Nestled under a bridge on the Portage Bay, the ultimate lake view home by architect Ryan Mankoski uses just 840 square feet. The compact abode features multifunctional spaces and rooms with sweeping views.
ON REMODELISTA: Vibrant Tiles from Morocco
Heroic Adventure6 of 12
Aptly named the Odyssee, this house Gothic-style houseboat was designed by French architect Eric Boucher. The solar-heated building is made entirely of wood, and the upstairs rooms are connected by an epically suspended walkway.
Sleep With The Fishes7 of 12
In another Germany houseboat, Confused Direction Architects designed a unique sculpture garden on the deck of the sleek structure, nicknamed “Der Silberfisch” or Silverfish.
Mail-Order Ride8 of 12
Make the ultimate splurge, with this his-and-hers floating home designed by MetroShip for the Neiman Marcus catalogue. This luxury loft on the water comes completely decked out with Viking appliances, Sony flat-screen TVs, translucent aluminum walls and a spa bathroom. All this can be yours for $250,000. Dive in.
Great Lakes9 of 12
This floating house by MOS Design is tucked into a pristine spot on Lake Huron and fuses Midwestern barn style with the seclusion of a log cabin.
Breaking The Waves10 of 12
The unique shape of this Portland floating house by architect Robert Harvey Oshatz reflects the curves of the Columbia River on which it sits.
Anchors Away11 of 12
Situated among the docks of Hamburg, Germany, this modular home focuses on sleek, stark design and takes some of its concepts from high-end yachts.
Out Of This World12 of 12
Along the canals of Amsterdam rest a cluster of floating home sanctuaries. One of our favorites is the modern Watervilla De Omval by +31Architects that looks like a futuristic spaceship pod.
NEXT ON GLO: Extreme Lust-Worthy Pools
- 10 ways to wear fashion's most addictive trend
- Yoga Poses for Every Sign
- Throw a 1920s themed party this holiday season
- The Ultimate Modern-Day Dining Guide
- How to have a work "husband"
- Totally Inappropriate Vintage Holiday Cards
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession