The most amazing doghouses of all time
- Next1 of 8Courtesy of Building Specialists Inc.
- Previous Next2 of 8Courtesy of Joshua McHugh. Barkitecture published by Abbeville Press, New York.
- Previous Next3 of 8Courtesy of FKP Architects
- Previous Next4 of 8Courtesy of Building Specialists Inc.
- Previous Next5 of 8Courtesy of Jarmund/Vigsnaes Architects
- Previous Next6 of 8Courtesy of Newcastle Homes
- Previous Next7 of 8Courtesy of Beyond the Crate
- Previous Next8 of 8Courtesy of Beyond the Crate
- The most amazing doghouses of all timeMakeover Your Home in 30 minutes or Less
- Wedding DIYs That Are Actually Worth It
- The Most Embarrassing Wedding Fails Ever
- 10 Unexpected Colors For Home Exteriors
- 8 clever DIY ideas for your kitchen
- 12 Fun Facts to Kick Off Your Summer
- The Best Anti-Aging Products For Your Home
- A+ Teacher's Gifts For Less Than $20
- 8 Ways To Make Over Your Windows
- How to Protect Your Biggest Decor Investments
- Home Decor Tricks Every Woman Should Know
- Fresh (Not Frumpy) Floral Decor
- 10 Cheap & Chic Summer Decorating Trends
- Unbelievable Bathroom Makeovers
- Outdoor Entertaining Essentials Under $75
- Instagram Feeds To Follow For Home Decor
- Design Secrets For A Stress-Free Home
- Unforgettable Front Porches
- Design Ideas For Travel Lovers
Haute Dog!1 of 8
By Jane Dagmi
Perfect for the pampered pooch, these over-the-top doggie dwellings put the wow in bow-wow. From cabanas to log cabins, here are seven awesome homes any dog would dig.
Fairy Tail Spot2 of 8
Building designer John M. Collins contributed an English-inspired thatched-and-stucco doghouse for the charity event at Old Westbury Gardens, a historic estate now opened to the public. The Hand-hewn beams and antique glass windows are just a couple of this home's authentic touches featured in the book, Barkitecture.
Lap Dog3 of 8
The Spa House would make any human envious. Designed by FKP Architects, it won Best in Show at the Pup Squad Benefit in Houston. With its simple design and welcoming wading pool, this find is ideal for the dog days of summer.
Bow House4 of 8
Except for the two stainless dog bowls, The Green Canine Cabin is constructed entirely of salvaged materials. Built by Building Specialists Inc. and Clark Nexsen Architecture & Engineering, this house was designed to be both dog- and earth-friendly. An overhang provides continuous shade, recycled rubber provides splinter-free flooring, and a cistern collects rainwater that can be used to refill the water bowls.
Bone-a-Fide Shelter5 of 8
When Wallpaper Magazine challenged Scandinavian architects Jarmund/Vigsnæs to design a doghouse for their Handmade Exhibition, the forward-thinking firm took inspiration from both native Nordic log construction and the universal dog bone. The Bone House features dog bones shaped from maple that easily notch together at the end of longer beams. The transparent polycarbonate roof keeps rain out and lets light in.
Eco-Friendly Fido6 of 8
Home builder Lex Zwaren of Newcastle Homes and architect Francois Levy teamed up to build the Rex Box for Austin's recent Barkitecture, a fundraising event for local charities. This well-ventilated and insulated structure, punctuated with lime green sliding barn doors, is made from 90 percent reclaimed materials, including cedar siding and metal roofing culled from the firm's other jobsites.
A Dog's Life7 of 8
If dogs look like their owners, then shouldn't their homes resemble those of their owners as well? Beyond the Crate offers custom-crafted architectural structures in the Georgetown style (shown), cottage and Victorian. Each dog estate offers upgrades such as electricity, air conditioning and heat, and the addition of running water. Prices include a consult with the owner to determine their needs and an architectural blue print.
Couture Cabin8 of 8
If your hound craves a classic beach or poolside retreat, this jaunty cabana offers style and shade. Fabricated out of wood slats, this shelter features bolster pillows and a cozy bed inside. The Crate Cabana is made to order—pick from a selection of house fabrics or supply your own.