Be My Guest
9 Tips for Being Invited Back
- Noel Hendrickson/Getty Images
Summertime often means invitations to stay at a friend's beach house, lake house or cabin. Whether your friends rent or own, it is your responsibility as a guest to pitch in with chores, errands and possibly even cooking. K. Cooper Ray, the creator of the blog SocialPrimer.com, takes the guesswork out of being a gracious guest with nine etiquette essentials.
1. Remember Where You Are
"The number one rule of being a houseguest is that a guest should never act like a guest," says Ray. "If you're invited to someone's house for the weekend, don't drop your bags at the door and expect to be waited on hand and foot." Ray recounts a trip he took to a friend's house in Southampton, N.Y.: "One of the guests acted like he had checked into The Four Seasons," he recalls. "He just lounged by the pool the whole time, never offering to help."
- Leo's annual astrological guide
- 9 Style Staples Every 30-Year-Old Should Own
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- 11 Affordable Ways To Decorate A Blank Wall
- How To Look Like Jenny McCarthy In Your 40s
- 10 Shocking Stories About Returning Clothes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession