8 Ways to Get Your Closet Under Control
With fall upon us, and as we swap out our sun dresses for sweaters, our closets have become virtually overrun with clothing, shoes or accessories that we just throw in because we don't have time to properly put them away, or we are just too lazy.
While we all dream for the day that we'll have an enormous walk-in sanctuary in which to house our clothes like Big gave Carrie, we'll have to figure out what to do in the meantime. Whether you've got a mini-sliding-door or a narrow hall closet, veteran contestants of HGTV's Design Star have eight unique and budget-friendly solutions for getting that clutter under control.
1. Organize By Type and Season
First things first, remove all of the clothes and shoes from your closet to clean out the space and see what you're working with. Then think about how you get dressed, to figure out how your closet should be organized. “The simplest way to break down your closet is by type and season,” says Design Star's Michael Moeller. “Grouping by color is always a mistake. I'm not sure about you, but I open my closet doors and say, ‘Today I have a meeting and it's 75 degrees out, I need a pair of khakis and a light weight button down.' Not ‘Today I'm feeling bananas, where is my yellow cardigan?'"
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession