Our 12 Favorite Rec Room Essentials
- Next1 of 9Courtesy of Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.
- Previous Next2 of 9Courtesy of Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.
- Previous Next3 of 9Courtesy of Benjamin Moore; PB Teen; World Market
- Previous Next4 of 9Courtesy of Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.
- Previous Next5 of 9Courtesy of Amazon; Pottery Barn
- Previous Next6 of 9Courtesy of Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.
- Previous Next7 of 9Courtesy of Amazon; Crate & Barrel; World Market
- Previous Next8 of 9Courtesy of Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.
- Previous Next9 of 9Courtesy of Zinc Door; Horchow; Pottery Barn
- Our 12 Favorite Rec Room EssentialsMakeover Your Home in 30 minutes or Less
- Wedding DIYs That Are Actually Worth It
- The Most Embarrassing Wedding Fails Ever
- 10 Unexpected Colors For Home Exteriors
- 8 clever DIY ideas for your kitchen
- 12 Fun Facts to Kick Off Your Summer
- The Best Anti-Aging Products For Your Home
- A+ Teacher's Gifts For Less Than $20
- 8 Ways To Make Over Your Windows
- How to Protect Your Biggest Decor Investments
- Home Decor Tricks Every Woman Should Know
- Fresh (Not Frumpy) Floral Decor
- 10 Cheap & Chic Summer Decorating Trends
- Unbelievable Bathroom Makeovers
- Outdoor Entertaining Essentials Under $75
- Instagram Feeds To Follow For Home Decor
- Design Secrets For A Stress-Free Home
- Unforgettable Front Porches
- Design Ideas For Travel Lovers
Game On1 of 9
By Amy Ahlberg
Whatever you call it—game room, rec room, entertainment room—this is where the fun happens. To help you create the ultimate relaxation spot in your home, we've rounded up inspiration from Entertainment Rooms: Home Theaters, Bars, and Game Rooms by Tina Skinner along with easy tips on getting your own room in game-day shape. The only hard part may be getting your guests to leave.
White On White2 of 9
Home theaters don't have to be dressed in the standard deep maroons, purples and navy blues that you'd find at the local cineplex. Here, warm creamy tones tell a more modern design story. Soft surfaces, plain walls and window treatments and a monochromatic color scheme keep the focus on the entertainment.
Steal the Look3 of 9
If you're a fan of a clean and modern design scheme, choose one color, like white, and vary the tones to keep the space feeling cozy rather than institutional. Choose a warm white paint for the walls and ceiling. Then add texturally soft and interesting details with a set of fuzzy beanbag chairs and a stack of herringbone throws, in the same color family.
Surround Sound4 of 9
In this entertainment room, the audio-visual components are clustered into one built-in wall unit. The all-wood wall makes this high-tech all-in-one entertainment zone homey. The same wood is repeated in other parts of the room—like the under-window storage cabinet—giving the room the ultimate bespoke feel.
Steal the Look5 of 9
You don’t need to hire a master carpenter to achieve this look. Choose a freestanding entertainment center that mimics the pulled-together quality of built-in furniture. Look to wi-fi and Bluetooth technology, which allow audiophiles to experience great sound, without the messy wires. For an additional decorative touch, a ceiling medallion will bring a little more interest to the room.
Raise the Bar6 of 9
In this warm yet contemporary wet bar, cocktail lovers can shake up frosty libations, while vinophiles can chill bottles to the perfect temperature in the wine fridge. On display? Beautiful, back-lit bottles, and handy cocktail glasses for any type of drink.
Steal the Look7 of 9
Mixing metal, wood and glass is industrial chic at its finest. When choosing a wine fridge, go for one with clean lines and an exterior made of warm-toned wood to help give your room a custom, built-in cabinet look. You can eliminate the risk of broken glass by choosing a good-looking shatterproof cocktail glass—especially helpful when kids are around.
Cue the Classics8 of 9
This room stays away from billiard room clichés thanks to a mix of woods in rich colors, contemporary art on the walls, prized objects on geometric shelving, and a sophisticated light fixture.
Steal the Look9 of 9
To get a game room that glows, skip the Tiffany-style lamps over your pool table and opt for a modern fixture instead. Anchor the room with an earth-toned Persian-style rug and look for bar stools with nailhead trim to up the elegance.
- 7 Ways to Grow Out Your Bangs Gracefully
- Virgo's Personalized Astrological Guide
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- The Ultimate Guide to Granny Chic
- Esquire: 14 Books Every Man Should Read
- 10 Style Rebels Who Changed Fashion
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession