13 Extraordinary Uses for Ordinary Things
- Next1 of 14Glo
- Previous Next2 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next3 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next4 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next5 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next6 of 14Courtesy of webstaurantstore.com; Thinkstock
- Previous Next7 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next8 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next9 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next10 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next11 of 14Courtesy of Sharpie; Thinkstock
- Previous Next12 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next13 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
- Previous Next14 of 14Courtesy of Thinkstock
Neato!1 of 14
By Andie Huber
Life's little problems can sometimes be easily solved with a little ingenuity and some out-of-the-box thinking. Whether you need to sharpen a pair of scissors, fix a scuffed shoe or organize your clutter, here are 13 of our favorite nifty ideas to help get you through 2013.
Welcome Matte2 of 14
Mix a little cornstarch with your clear nail polish to get the latest trendy matte finish on your fingernails without buying an entire bottle.
Put a Cork In It3 of 14
Keep doors propped open: Cut a wine cork on an angle and wedge it under the door as a doorstop.
With the Band4 of 14
Use a wide rubber band between the screw and the screwdriver for extra grip when you've stripped a screw and can't get it out.
Smooth Move5 of 14
Fill in scratches on any wood table or floor by rubbing the meat of a walnut, pecan or Brazil nut into the offending mark.
On Ice6 of 14
Frozen packets of soy sauce make perfectly sized boo-boo aids or soothing eye relief pads for a rough and puffy morning.
A Shoe-In7 of 14
Snag shower caps from hotels and wrap them around the soles of your shoes before putting them in your luggage to keep them from getting your clothes dirty.
You've Got Mail8 of 14
Slot letters, bills and other mail things into a traditional toast caddy.
Growth Spurt9 of 14
Help flimsy plants stay upright by inserting a chopstick into the soil and lending the main stem some support. Loosely tie a string around the plant and chopstick for an added boost.
Filter Results10 of 14
Filter wine easily with a coffee filter when a cork has broken or crumbled into your favorite Merlot.
On the Mark11 of 14
In a pinch, fill in a scuffed black heel quickly with a Sharpie marker.
Chill Out12 of 14
Instantly organize your desk full of paperclips, pins, rubber bands with ice trays—easily accessible but stylishly out of the way.
Make the Cut13 of 14
Sharpen a pair of dull scissors by cutting through aluminum foil that has been folded multiple times.
Stuck on You14 of 14
Keep pins and needles together by turning a bar of soap into a pincushion. The soap residue will help the sewing accessories glide easily through fabric for your next project.
- 19 Unusual Beauty Tips That Make Life Easier
- 6 Parties Everyone Should Know How to Throw
- Bespoke clutches develop a cult-like following
- Infidelity Questions With No Easy Answers
- What's Your Living Room Style?
- 13 Most Inspiring Biker Babes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession