Cohabitation in Style
- Next1 of 8Glo
- Previous Next2 of 8Photographs by Kip Dawkins
- Previous Next3 of 8Photographs by Kip Dawkins
- Previous Next4 of 8Photographs by Kip Dawkins
- Previous Next5 of 8Photographs by Kip Dawkins
- Previous Next6 of 8Photographs by Kip Dawkins
- Previous Next7 of 8Photographs by Kip Dawkins
- Previous Next8 of 8Photographs by Kip Dawkins
Share the Space1 of 8
By Michelle Ruiz for Cosmopolitan
You're in love and you're moving in together, but there's just one problem with cohabitation: You're domestically challenged. Enter Sherry Petersik, coauthor (with her husband John) of Young House Love, a new book (based on their blog) full of DIY tips for your new home sweet home. "Even if you don't have a lot of money, you can do a lot with your two hands and your excitement," Sherry says.
Curtain Call2 of 8
The issue: You're renting and not allowed to paint or wallpaper.
The fix: Update a space that you don't own with curtains. They add color, they're removable, and if you hang them high and wide, they make the windows look bigger. They're a lot of bang for your buck.
ON COSMOPOLITAN: Moving in With Your Guy? Read This First
Writing on the Wall3 of 8
The issue: Your walls are barren and you really can't afford fancy art.
The fix: Collage your walls with your post card and/or photo collection. Use removable poster putty to arrange them randomly or in a gridlike pattern. Instant art!
Book It4 of 8
The issue: Your bookcases are blah.
The fix: A less permanent option than paint is to wallpaper the back of your bookcases. Cut foam core or cardboard rectangles to rest against the back of shelves, and wrap in your favorite wallpaper or fabric.
Hung Up5 of 8
The issue: Your closet space is a freaking disaster.
The fix: Lose the mismatched, random wire and plastic hangers and replace them with a matching kind (for example: all wood) for a boutique-ish effect.
ON COSMOPOLITAN: Tricks To Make Your Bedroom More Guy-Friendly
Drop Your Drawers6 of 8
The issue: You’re still making do with your low-budget dressers.
The fix: Cheer yourself up by lining your drawers with patterned paper or gift wrap. It’s like a secret shot of happy!
ON COSMOPOLITAN: What His Text Really Means
Watch the Throne7 of 8
The issue: Your teeny bathroom lacks pizzazz and you'd rather it felt more like a personal spa.
The fix: Chic up a toilet tank with a long ceramic dish topped off with a candle, a small vase and a shell ball.
ON COSMOPOLITAN: How To Get A Guy To Do Anything You Want
Love Young House Love?8 of 8
For more tips from Sherry and John, buy Young House Love at Amazon.com.
NEXT GALLERY: More DIY Tips That Will Blow Your Mind
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession