The 13 worst decorating ideas of all time
- Next1 of 14Courtesy of Amazon
- Previous Next2 of 14Amy Eckert/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 14Jake Fitzjones/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 14Ivan Stevanovic/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 14Gwendolyn Plath/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 14Fotosearch/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 14Ross Chandler/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 14Gary Ombler/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 14Muntz/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 14Matt Carr/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 14William Britten/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 14Courtesy of Amazon
- Previous Next13 of 14Fotosearch/Getty Images
- Previous Next14 of 14Studio 642/Getty Images
Home Truths1 of 14
By Andie Huber
We asked our Facebook friends for some of the worst home decorating ideas they've seen and we received some stellar examples of designs gone wrong. Sometimes dishing over someone else's bad design decision is as fun as ohhhing and ahhhing over great spaces.
Somebody's Watching2 of 14
Don't get us wrong: We love photos of our families—just not directly over our beds (at home or when we are an overnight guest in someone else's house). Try to keep family portraits in the hallway and other common areas. A line-up of faces, peering down at us as we drift off to sleep is not a comfortable feeling.
Matching Game3 of 14
A colored toilet, bathtub, sink and tiles is a "Nightmare from the '80s!" says Facebook friend Trisha C.
Sound Garden4 of 14
Is it a living room or a recording studio? While great sound is always appreciated, stereo equipment has evolved, offering much smaller equipment with better quality output. It's time to say goodbye to the 80s (when the size of you speaker meant something) and hide as much electronic equipment as possible.
Bum Rap5 of 14
Another design grievance about the bathroom: Other than bath tissue, keep anything absorbent away from the toilet.
View Askew6 of 14
Furniture placed at odd angles in a room never feels right. Line up sofas, beds and other pieces parallel to walls—it will make the space feel finished and permanent rather than like a work in progress.
Bare Bones7 of 14
Warm up a cold space by incorporating soft pieces into the mix. By adding a rug, window curtains and throw pillows, your rooms will become cozy spaces you'll want to hang out in.
Stuck on You8 of 14
Popcorn ceilings (and textured ones for that matter) hurt our eyes. "Our daughter says it looks like cottage cheese," says Lauren S. from Facebook. Besides the amount of dust and grime that gets trapped in all those nooks and crannies, the removal process is one of the dirtiest jobs in home renovation.
Pattern Power9 of 14
Mixing prints within a single room is a professional feat. If you decide to try this decor trick, keep these rules in mind: Choose a large-scaled pattern (to act as the room's base pattern), vary the scale of the secondary patterns in a complementary color, and toss in a solid color in a texture like corduroy, velvet or tweed. Just because everything is a flower doesn't mean it works.
Head Case10 of 14
One prized trophy head in a room we can understand…maybe…but an entire sampling of the local fauna, we cannot.
Cast a Net11 of 14
Mosquito netting should only be used in environments and spaces where the occupants actually need to be protected from bugs.
For Keeps12 of 14
Plastic is a wonderful thing but using plastic covers to keep your furniture nice is making your place look not so nice…what's the point of that?
Bug in a Rug13 of 14
Wall-to-wall carpet, once a status symbol, now breeds discontent among designers and quite possibly, bacteria. As one Facebook friend Christina C. said, "So unsanitary!"
Short Cut14 of 14
Inaccurately measuring windows for curtains can leave you coming up short (see: Never make these decor mistakes again). If you can still see the window when your curtains are closed, you need bigger curtains.
NEXT ON GLO: 14 Cheap & Chic Renovating Resources
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession