10 Tricks to Make Any Room Appear Bigger
- Next1 of 11Courtesy of Target/CB2
- Previous Next2 of 11Courtesy of Pottery Barn
- Previous Next3 of 11Courtesy of Farrow & Ball Paint
- Previous Next4 of 11Courtesy of Ikea
- Previous Next5 of 11Courtesy of Target
- Previous Next6 of 11Courtesy of CB2
- Previous Next7 of 11Courtesy of Art.com
- Previous Next8 of 11Courtesy of Overstock
- Previous Next9 of 11Courtesy of Crate and Barrel
- Previous Next10 of 11Courtesy of Wayfair
- Previous Next11 of 11Courtesy of Jaysworld
- 10 Tricks to Make Any Room Appear BiggerMakeover Your Home in 30 minutes or Less
- Wedding DIYs That Are Actually Worth It
- The Most Embarrassing Wedding Fails Ever
- 10 Unexpected Colors For Home Exteriors
- 8 clever DIY ideas for your kitchen
- 12 Fun Facts to Kick Off Your Summer
- The Best Anti-Aging Products For Your Home
- A+ Teacher's Gifts For Less Than $20
- 8 Ways To Make Over Your Windows
- How to Protect Your Biggest Decor Investments
- Home Decor Tricks Every Woman Should Know
- Fresh (Not Frumpy) Floral Decor
- 10 Cheap & Chic Summer Decorating Trends
- Unbelievable Bathroom Makeovers
- Outdoor Entertaining Essentials Under $75
- Instagram Feeds To Follow For Home Decor
- Design Secrets For A Stress-Free Home
- Unforgettable Front Porches
- Design Ideas For Travel Lovers
Dream Big1 of 11
By Sara Tan
Not all of us have the luxury of living in a home with high ceilings and endless floor space, but a few simple tricks can transform any room into a spacious one. Here, maximize your square footage with these ten decor strategies.
Sheer Genius2 of 11
Dress windows with light, sheer curtains. This will allow light to filter in, making the space seem bigger and brighter. To make windows appear larger, hang curtains from the ceiling instead of the top of the panels.
SHOP NOW: Flax Linen Drape, starting at $109, potterybarn.com
Hue Knew?3 of 11
While dark-colored walls can make a statement and create a cozy atmosphere, they absorb more light, making a room feel smaller. Paint walls in lighter shades like cream, beige, light blue or gray to help the light reflect and multiply throughout the space.
SHOP NOW: Tallow No. 203, $95, farrow-ball.com
Double-Duty Decor4 of 11
Create more room in any space by using multi-functional furniture. Find space-saving pieces like a chest that can serve as a coffee table or a bed with built in drawers to decrease clutter.
SHOP NOW: Mandal bed frame, $399, ikea.com
Optical Illusion5 of 11
Mirrors help to create a sense of space by reflecting and spreading light throughout a room. Group small mirrors together on a wall or use a floor length mirror for an added dose of drama.
SHOP NOW: Threshold starburst mirror set, $25, target.com
Rise Up6 of 11
Incorporating raised furniture, like a sofa with legs, helps guide the eye up and expose more floor space, making a room appear bigger than it actually is.
SHOP NOW: Rue petal apartment sofa, $999, cb2.com
Pop Art7 of 11
To add some interest to a room without making it feel cluttered (an instant space-shrinker) look to a single bold piece of art.
SHOP NOW: Hans Hoffman "The Door," $100, art.com
Clear Cut8 of 11
Look to furniture and decor made from see-through materials, like Lucite or glass, to give a room a feeling of openness.
SHOP NOW: Adair acrylic coffee table, $258, overstock.com
Color Scheming9 of 11
Try varying shades of one hue to make your space feel more airy, while adding dimension to the decor of the room.
SHOP NOW: Alfredo rug, $594 and up, crateandbarrel.com
Shelf Help10 of 11
Trade in bulky cabinets and bookcases for floating shelves to maximize limited space.
SHOP NOW: InPlace floating decorative wood shelves, $31, wayfair.com
Group Think11 of 11
Display smaller, decorative objects together and arrange them by color. Color-coding books and tchotchkes makes a space seem cleaner, more organized and helps to give an overall sense of harmony.
SHOP NOW: Jaysworld decorative vintage blue books, $55, etsy.com
ARE WE FRIENDS YET? Like Glo on Facebook
- The ultimate guide to freckled skin
- Decor inspiration from your favorite TV shows
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- Never Say These Things About Your Ex
- Glo Challenge: Beauty Blogger Makeunder
- What men really think of 10 fall trends
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession