Witty and Whimsical Interiors
- Next1 of 7Glo
- Previous Next2 of 7Roger Davies
- Previous Next3 of 7William Waldron
- Previous Next4 of 7William Waldron
- Previous Next5 of 7Simon Upton
- Previous Next6 of 7Roger Davies
- Previous Next7 of 7Simon Upton
- Witty and Whimsical InteriorsMakeover Your Home in 30 minutes or Less
- Wedding DIYs That Are Actually Worth It
- The Most Embarrassing Wedding Fails Ever
- 10 Unexpected Colors For Home Exteriors
- 8 clever DIY ideas for your kitchen
- 12 Fun Facts to Kick Off Your Summer
- The Best Anti-Aging Products For Your Home
- A+ Teacher's Gifts For Less Than $20
- 8 Ways To Make Over Your Windows
- How to Protect Your Biggest Decor Investments
- Home Decor Tricks Every Woman Should Know
- Fresh (Not Frumpy) Floral Decor
- 10 Cheap & Chic Summer Decorating Trends
- Unbelievable Bathroom Makeovers
- Outdoor Entertaining Essentials Under $75
- Instagram Feeds To Follow For Home Decor
- Design Secrets For A Stress-Free Home
- Unforgettable Front Porches
- Design Ideas For Travel Lovers
Rooms_v03a1 of 7
Rooms with Wit & Whimsy2 of 7
Here's a peek at one of our favorite ELLE DECOR stories by Kate Hambrecht. —Glo
Truly delightful design often has a touch of the unexpected. Here are a few playful rooms—ranging from the tastefully clever to the just plain surreal—that surprise and amuse us with their originality.
Words to Live By3 of 7
Literature-loving interior designer Sheila Bridges commissioned this thoughtful wall treatment by Pintura Studios for the library of her Harlem apartment. The hand-painted quotes are from her favorite authors, among them Zora Neale Hurston, Emily Dickinson and Dr. Seuss; the sofa is upholstered in a Rogers & Goffigon linen velvet.
ON ELLE DECOR: Great Ideas: Wall Treatments
One for the Books4 of 7
The craft of decoupage artist John Derian is on full display in the handsome and unusual treatment he’s given the foyer of his apartment on Manhattan’s Lower East Side. Derian created the vintage look with pages from old books, applied with Elmers Glue and water.
Pool Party5 of 7
At the seaside Ibizan vacation villa of brothers Antonio and Ignacio Saorin, guests are never far from the residence’s recreational activities. This bathroom features a uniquely surreal porthole: Mounted into the mirror, it peers into the deep end of the home’s swimming pool.
Player's Piano6 of 7
In her living room, fashion designer Cynthia Rowley mixes a hay-bale bench by Gaston Marticorena and a horseshoe cocktail table with the ultimate accessory for entertaining in Manhattan: a baby grand piano shell that serves as a giant ice bucket for champagne.
ON ELLE DECOR: Step Inside Cynthia Rowley’s Manhattan Townhouse
High Seas7 of 7
Decorators Jeffrey Alan Marks and Ross Cassidy offer a tongue-in-cheek nod to their beachy California neighborhood, Santa Monica Canyon, with a vintage Abercrombie & Fitch rowboat they’ve attached —upside-down—to their master bedroom ceiling.
ON ELLE DECOR: Rooms with High-Seas Style
For More Wit & Whimsy, visit ELLEDecor.com