Create a Cozy Home
- Next1 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Previous Next2 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Previous Next3 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Previous Next4 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Previous Next5 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Previous Next6 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Previous Next7 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Previous Next8 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Previous Next9 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Previous Next10 of 10Courtesy of Serena & Lily
- Create a Cozy HomeMakeover Your Home in 30 minutes or Less
- Wedding DIYs That Are Actually Worth It
- The Most Embarrassing Wedding Fails Ever
- 10 Unexpected Colors For Home Exteriors
- 8 clever DIY ideas for your kitchen
- 12 Fun Facts to Kick Off Your Summer
- The Best Anti-Aging Products For Your Home
- A+ Teacher's Gifts For Less Than $20
- 8 Ways To Make Over Your Windows
- How to Protect Your Biggest Decor Investments
- Home Decor Tricks Every Woman Should Know
- Fresh (Not Frumpy) Floral Decor
- 10 Cheap & Chic Summer Decorating Trends
- Unbelievable Bathroom Makeovers
- Outdoor Entertaining Essentials Under $75
- Instagram Feeds To Follow For Home Decor
- Design Secrets For A Stress-Free Home
- Unforgettable Front Porches
- Design Ideas For Travel Lovers
Worn-In Chic1 of 10
By Amy Elisa Keith
Designer Serena Dugan of online shop Serena & Lily shows how to create a timeless and unfussy home by blending everyday comforts with innovative decor.
Relax & Stay Awhile2 of 10
Creating a home of effortless elegance "evokes a sense of fine living without trying too hard," says Dugan. She has noticed that the effortless trend is growing more popular among modern women who crave a mix of luxury and authenticity.
SHOP NOW: Mombasa Table Runner, $68
In The Shade3 of 10
Instead of a complete remodel, try softening your existing space with a few easy additions. "Women should consider color in all types of accessories, from pillows to table linens and mirrors to bedding," she says. Some of the most sought-after colors combos of the season? "The earthy tones of plum, ochre and shale mixed with bold turquoise and saffron accents."
SHOP NOW: Marbella Owl Napkins, $38
Junk Gypsy4 of 10
Scouring your local antique shop is a smart first step to finding hidden gems. But Dugan says to beware: "Vintage is best used in small quantities so as not look like your home is a flea market."
SHOP NOW: Hammered Metal Tray Table, from $138
Three's Company5 of 10
"Living well is about keeping a sense of humor," says Dugan. Consider conversation pieces as go-to elements to evoke this sense of warmth. Dugan recommends these three pieces: vintage trays, a slightly worn rug, and vintage photographs or posters.
SHOP NOW: Metallic Suede & Hemp Rug, from $295
Far, Far Away6 of 10
If you've been stowing souvenirs that didn't quite fit with your decor, then it's time to bring them out of hiding. "Treasures from around the world add individual style," says Dugan of styling with vacation souvenirs.
SHOP NOW: Bent Branch Lantern, from $98
Set The Scene7 of 10
One of the easiest places to experiment with the lived-in look is at the dinner table. Whether you choose hand-printed batik fabrics or soft linens to cover the table, Dugan says, "They add an elegant touch to any table."
SHOP NOW: Mombasa Placemats, $48
Dish It Up8 of 10
The eclectic mix of the decor, says Dugan, should be applied throughout your life. Mix and match your dinnerware or use an antique saucer set to plate a little of this and that. Instead of huge platters or impersonal spreads when you entertain, opt for smaller servings of gourmet offerings.
SHOP NOW: Inlay CHeese Knives, $38
All In9 of 10
To create a luxe yet calming bedroom, jump headfirst into the trend. "I recommend adding softer elements such as pillows in contrasting colors and patterns, as well as long, flowing curtain panels," she says. Another striking option is a collage wall of vintage black-and-white photographs.
SHOP NOW: Wyeth Duvet, from $180
Live It Up10 of 10
Unlike many other home design styles, worn-in chic is a style best achieved over time. Sure, buying particular pieces can add to the overall decor, but Dugan insists that an "unfussy home" is created by simply living, learning and collecting.
SHOP NOW: Alabaster Votive Holders, $28
NEXT GALLERY: Be Inspired by Southern Living
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 11 Clever Decor Ideas For Small Patios
- The oversized trend that's making a comeback
- Beauty Tips From A Supermodel-Turned-Actress
- 9 Worst Packing Mistakes You're Making
- 9 Must-Read Tips for a Healthy Divorce
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession