10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- Next1 of 11pixdeluxe/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 11Cultura/Twinpix/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 11mediaphotos/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 11Andrew Watson/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 11ZoneCreative/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 11DreamPictures/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 11Jake Curtis/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 11mediaphotos/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 11Troels Graugaard/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 11Zero Creatives/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 11pixdeluxe/Getty Images
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You20 Fashion Rules You Should Break
- 7 Magic Bra Solutions
- The Truth About Dressing For Your Age
- 19 Beauty Tricks That Will Change Your Life
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- How to Apply Eye Shadow for Every Eye Shape
- 11 Creative Outfits For In-Between Weather
- 10 Ways To Refresh Your White Button-Down
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
Instant Attraction?1 of 11
By Frank Kobola for Cosmopolitan
Believe it or not, guys aren't just checking out your, ahem, assets when they first meet you. Here, ten things guys think within the first five minutes of an encounter.
Why is she talking like that?2 of 11
There are three types of voices: low voices, high voices, and "I'm going to try and be cute by purposefully talking in a high pitched baby voice." Sometimes this is cute; sometimes it just gives us a headache.
RELATED ON COSMOPOLITAN: 9 Signs He's Flirting With You and Not Just Being Nice
Why is she smiling at me?3 of 11
Everyone is a sucker for a nice smile, but guys really pay attention to how you smile at them. Are you smiling politely, or are you giving them a sidelong glance across the room? Have you totally stopped caring and broken into a genuine giant grin because of something funny the guy said? The last one is the most rewarding.
What is she wearing?4 of 11
Either it's "Why did she walk outside like that?" or "Holy shit, I am so glad she walked outside like that."
RELATED ON COSMOPOLITAN: The 7 Stages of Fading in a Casual Relationship
She's got a great sense of humor.5 of 11
Your sense of humor is like your child. Everyone's is different but you think yours is the one everyone else's should measure up to. If a woman doesn't seem to respond to our jokes, we'll probably never be friends.
What is she looking at?6 of 11
We'll follow your eyes around the room and take note of what you're paying attention to. Maybe you're watching a game on the TV bar or you're looking at the exit because you want to leave. Either way, we just learned a lot.
Can she tell I'm checking her out?7 of 11
Of course we're going to sneak a look at you. Even the most genuine, charming, down-to-earth guys are going to think about having sex with you in the first five minutes.
ON COSMOPOLITAN: 10 Reasons He Hasn't Said "I Love You" Yet
What is that scent?8 of 11
If you're wearing a strong perfume, guys are going to spend most of that initial conversation trying to guess what that scent is. "Vanilla? Cinnamon? Sandalwood? I have no idea what sandalwood smells like so it has to be sandalwood."
She's being super nice to that waiter.9 of 11
The way you treat other people can reveal a lot about you quickly. Are you making the bartender go back three separate times to mix your drink properly, or are you being super nice to someone who just bumped into you? It's the quick, gut-check passing interactions that reveal a lot.
She won't stop touching me.10 of 11
This can be a really good thing or incredibly annoying. It's flattering when someone can't keep their hands off of you, but it's obnoxious when you're constantly poking at us.
RELATED ON COSMOPOLITAN: 10 Drunk Texts You Should NEVER Send
Your makeup.11 of 11
Men are going to judge you based on your makeup. Some men are going to find smoky eyes sexy, some are going to find them trashy. None of them are going to appreciate just how long it took you to do that cat-eye.