20 Things to Do, See & Celebrate This Month
- Next1 of 21Glo
- Previous Next2 of 21Courtesy of Bobbi Brown
- Previous Next3 of 21Pool CATARINA/VANDEVILLE/Gamma-Rapho/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 21Jordan Parks/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 21Allison Joyce/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 21David Lees/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 21Exclusive Media
- Previous Next8 of 21HBO
- Previous Next9 of 21Leila Mendez/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 21Courtesy of Grand Central Publishing
- Previous Next11 of 21John Moore/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 21Thinkstock
- Previous Next13 of 21Courtesy of Target
- Previous Next14 of 21Fox Broadcasting
- Previous Next15 of 21Spencer Platt/Getty Images
- Previous Next16 of 21Alexandra Beier/Getty Images
- Previous Next17 of 21Kevork Djansezian/Getty Images
- Previous Next18 of 21Courtesy of Glassnote Records
- Previous Next19 of 21Michael Simon/startraksphoto.com
- Previous Next20 of 21Image Source/Getty Images
- Previous Next21 of 21Showtime
- 20 Things to Do, See & Celebrate This MonthWhat Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
Mark Your Calendar1 of 21
By Paige Brettingen
Summer may be drawing to a close, but there are still plenty of reasons to get excited for September. For starters, this month has days devoted to Italian food, German beer and Hershey's Chocolate. And the TV season premieres will have you looking forward to Mondays. Prepare yourself for a busy, fun-filled month.
Katie Holmes' Cosmetic Line Debut2 of 21
After being the face of Bobbi Brown cosmetics for a year, Katie Holmes is trying her hand at the business. Her Bobbi and Katie line, launching sometime this month, will feature a complete brush set and an eyeshadow kit in nudes and natural colors—ideal for busy women who want a "quick fix," she says.
Regata Storica3 of 21
The annual fishing boat and gondola races through the Grand Canal of Venice, Italy, have been a tradition since 1489. But in recent years, it's more known for the spectacular pageantry that precedes the race as 16th-century boats and gondoliers in period costumes transport high-ranking Venetian officials up the canal.
Labor Day4 of 21
Enjoy your well-deserved day off—you've worked hard this year. Fun fact: The first state to officially make Labor Day an observed holiday was Oregon, in 1887. It wasn't until 1894 that the rest of the country caught on and Congress made it a legal holiday—good on them!
Fashion Week5 of 21
The spring 2014 collections hit the runways at New York Fashion Week today, kicking off with designer Nicholas K and ending with the Calvin Klein show on Sept. 12. For a look at the inspiration behind this year's collections, check out the designers' boards on Pinterest's Fashion Week hub.
Read a Book Day6 of 21
We're not expecting you to finish an entire novel today (but certainly go for it if you're one of those speed-reading types we so envy). Instead, consider today an opportunity to start one of those books you "should have read by now." For a few ideas, check back with us on Sept. 6 when we reveal the 30 books every woman should read by age 30.
"Adore" Movie Opening7 of 21
This flick about lifelong friends falling in love with each other's sons revisits the old adage that "love knows no age." We'd go into more detail, but it's just one of those tales best left to the talents of Naomi Watts and Robin Wright.
"Boardwalk Empire" Premiere8 of 21
There's no shortage of TV premieres this month, and this one is among those not to be missed. Boardwalk Empire starts its fourth season on HBO at 9 p.m. ET/PT. Some background for newcomers: The series is based on real-life Prohibition-era politician and racketeer Enoch "Nucky" Johnson and his corrupt reign over Atlantic City. Other notorious mobsters (a young Al Capone, for one) also make waves.
Grandparents' Day9 of 21
Jimmy Carter made Grandparents' Day official in 1978, after a housewife in West Virginia started a movement to encourage more visits to nursing homes. And when you do pay a visit to Gram and Gramps today, don't forget to bring them the day's official flower: the forget-me-not.
Man Repeller's Book Release10 of 21
We've long been a fan of her blog and Twitter feed, and now, Leandra Medine (aka, Man Repeller) brings us her first book, Man Repeller: Seeking Love, Finding Overalls. To get a taste of what's to come with her entry into the literary world, take a look at some of her past wisdom.
Patriot Day11 of 21
It's a day we'll never forget. It's also becoming a day for making positive impacts in our communities. The site 911day.org—started by the brother of one of the more than 3,000 victims—encourages doing one good deed in memory of those who lost their lives 12 years ago. Make your good-deed pledge here.
International Chocolate Day12 of 21
Otherwise known to us as "best day of the year," International Chocolate Day celebrates the 156th birthday of chocolatier Milton Hershey. Go on and have a few Kisses in his honor.
Phillip Lim for Target13 of 21
We were fortunate enough to get a preview back in August, and today, Phillip Lim's collection for Target has officially arrived. Whether you're in the market for a new workbag, cocktail dress or blazer, all 125 items of Lim's collection have your fall wardrobe completely covered.
Two Rom-Com Premieres14 of 21
Who doesn't love the adorkable Zooey Deschanel and the ever-optimistic Mindy Kaling? And we'd be remiss if we didn't also give a shout-out to the one and only Schmidt. Catch their back-to-back comedies tonight on FOX, starting with New Girl at 9 p.m. ET/PT and The Mindy Project at 9:30.
Feast of San Gennaro15 of 21
Time to honor your Italian heritage—or just your love of Italian food. The celebration of the Feast of San Gennaro begins in New York today—a tradition that goes back to 1926 when newly arrived immigrants from Naples congregated in Little Italy. Other cities with San Gennaro celebrations include Las Vegas on Sept. 10 and Los Angeles on Sept. 27.
First day of Oktoberfest16 of 21
Willkommen to Oktoberfest. The largest beer festival in the world kicks off today in Munich, Germany, (with plenty of similar celebrations in the States, too) and will keep on buzzing until Oct. 6. It's hard to believe, but the event hasn't always been centered on German brews. The main attraction when it first started in 1810? Horseracing.
Emmy Awards17 of 21
It's anyone's guess as to who will win at tonight's 65th Primetime Emmy Awards, hosted by Neil Patrick Harris. A few nominees we—as amateur TV critics—feel most deserve Emmys: Claire Danes for Homeland (yes, again) and Jon Hamm, who seems to be the Susan Lucci of the primetime awards—always a nominee but not yet a winner for his role in Mad Men.
Chvrches Album Release18 of 21
If you're a fan of Ellie Goulding, we have a feeling this could be your next new favorite group. Scottish band Chvches releases its debut album The Bones of What You Believe today in both a 12-track edition and a 16-track special edition that includes remixes and two live performance videos. Sample some of their electro-pop here.
Catherine Malandrino for Kohl's19 of 21
As if Phillip Lim weren't enough, there's yet another designer line debuting this month. Catherine Malandrino—a favorite of Vanessa Hudgens and Sophia Bush—releases her limited-edition Parisian-inspired creations for DesigNation at Kohl's today. You officially have zero excuses not to shop this month.
National Good Neighbor Day20 of 21
Channel your inner Mr. Rogers and make nice with the neighbors today, starting with taking a day off from complaining about their [fill in the blank]. If you're not quite ready to bring over baked goods, you can always start by bringing up their recycling bins.
More Season Premieres21 of 21
We weren't kidding when we said there's a ridiculous amount of must-see TV this month. Tonight, your DVR can be put to good use. On ABC, there's Once Upon a Time at 9 p.m. ET/PT followed by Revenge at 10 p.m. On Showtime, there's Homeland at 9 p.m. ET/PT and on CBS there's The Good Wife at 9 p.m. ET/PT. You can't go wrong, whatever you choose.
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession