17 Things to See, Do and Celebrate This Month
- Next1 of 18Glo
- Previous Next2 of 18Alija/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 18Oli Kellett/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 18Sollina Images/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 18Comstock/Thinkstock
- Previous Next6 of 18Courtesy of Ecco
- Previous Next7 of 18Courtesy of Interscope records
- Previous Next8 of 18Frederick Breedon/FilmMagic
- Previous Next9 of 18Courtesy of River Island
- Previous Next10 of 18Tom Williams/Roll Call/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 18Courtesy of Interscope Records
- Previous Next12 of 18Photodisc/Thinkstock
- Previous Next13 of 18Courtesy of H&M
- Previous Next14 of 18Geoff Burke/Getty Images
- Previous Next15 of 18Lionsgate/Photofest
- Previous Next16 of 18Lester Cohen/WireImage
- Previous Next17 of 18Thinkstock
- Previous Next18 of 18Lauri Patterson/Getty Images
- 17 Things to See, Do and Celebrate This MonthWhat Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
Save the Date1 of 18
By Paige Brettingen
It's not every year—or even every 10,000 years—that we get a Thanksgivingukkah in November. Add to that another once-in-a-lifetime occurrence (Isabel Marant's H&M collection, naturally) and this might just be the best month ever. Read on for the details on these and 15 more events you don't want to miss.
Movember2 of 18
Things are about to get hairy as the men of Movember start their month-long campaign raising awareness for prostate cancer. Check back with us later this month when we reveal the sexiest 'staches of Movember 2013.
National Novel Writing Month3 of 18
No more staring at the blank page. Now's your chance to finally churn out that book with National Novel Writing Month (or, it's super-fun-to-say abbreviation, NaNoWriMo). Participants begin working towards the goal of completing a 50,000-word novel (about the length of The Great Gatsby) by 11:59 p.m. on Nov. 30. That comes out to roughly 1,670 words a day—in case you're counting.
Day of the Dead4 of 18
One of Mexico's best-known holidays, Día de los Muertos is a two-day homage to deceased relatives and friends. Some of the traditions include placing offerings for the dead in front of homemade altars, making bread decorated with sugar skulls and even having a commemorative feast at the gravesite of a loved one.
Daylight Savings5 of 18
Get ready to "fall back" an hour (read: sleep in an extra hour) as we push the clocks back at 2 a.m. local time. And for those on the East Coast, check out the partial solar eclipse from 6:00 a.m. till 7:10 a.m. EST (sadly, those of us west of the Appalachian Mountains are out of luck seeing it this year).
Amy Tan's New Book6 of 18
The author of The Joy Luck Club is back with her latest novel, The Valley of Amazement. Beginning in a Shanghai courtesan house in 1905 and told through a series of flashbacks, the epic story follows an American mother and her half-Chinese daughter over the course of 40 tumultuous years.
MIA's "Matangi"7 of 18
On the heels of her Versace collaboration, MIA releases her newest album Matangi. Probably not an accident that the album cover's colors coordinate with the clothing line.
Country Music Awards8 of 18
Regardless of your tolerance level for country music, the CMAs promise a good show with hosts Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley this year as well as performances by Taylor Swift, Keith Urban and Tim McGraw. Tune in at 8/7c on ABC.
Rihanna x River Island9 of 18
Rihanna releases her final collection for River Island today after her Instagrammed preview of it in October. A few of our must-have picks (especially in preparation for holiday-party season)? The maxi dress, metallic skirts and velvet floral prints.
Veterans Day10 of 18
First known as Armistice Day, today marks when fighting ceased between the Allies and Germany during World War I, on the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918. Sixty years later, it became an annual observance to honor American veterans for their service and sacrifice.
Lady Gaga's "Artpop"11 of 18
Momma Monster makes her return with album No. 3. While we've already gotten a good taste of her single "Applause," Gaga promises that all of the album's songs were written for "you to have a really good time … like a night at the club."
"Thanks, Birth Control"12 of 18
In honor of National Birth Control Day, take a moment to say #ThxBirthControl. The National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy is challenging the nation to have an open conversation about the long-term benefits of birth control—for society as a whole. According to a recent survey, 55 percent of sexually active women ages 18 to 22 said they'd feel more comfortable using contraception if it was talked about in a positive way.
Isabel Marant for H&M13 of 18
The French designer's long-awaited collection for H&M (otherwise referred to as "best collab ever") officially arrives. Judging by that preview we got back in September, we're expecting this one to go fast!
NASCAR Finale14 of 18
Rev up your engines as the final NASCAR race of the year makes its final laps in Florida today. Or just use it as an excuse to gather with friends. Because who could say no to any event that puts those Pinterest party boards to good use?
"Catching Fire"15 of 18
The odds are certainly in our favor today as the long-awaited Hunger Games sequel is released. Get ready for an epic round two upon return to the Capitol. (Our palms are already sweating …)
American Music Awards16 of 18
Celebrate the year's best music by American artists when Kelly Clarkson and will.i.am host the 41st annual American Music Awards. Look out for performances by Imagine Dragons, One Direction and (gulp) Miley Cyrus.
First Night of Hanukkah17 of 18
Hannukah—or shall we say Thanksgivukkah—begins tonight. The overlap between the holidays last occurred in 1899 and won't happen again for another 70,000 years, so you'd better go all out with that Manischewitz-braised turkey.
Thanksgiving18 of 18
Happy Turkey Day (or Tofurky Day for the vegetarians among us). As you probably know, the president will pardon a turkey (and spare it from the dinner table) today—a tradition that started with George H. Bush in 1989. But did you know that the turkey then gets to spend the day at the happiest place on Earth? Yep, you guessed it. Disneyland.
- How to look effortlessly hot at the gym
- The 14 Best Couples' Halloween Costumes
- The only way to celebrate National Cat Day
- The Best Guest Beds Under $999
- 8 Bargain Shopping Tricks You've Never Tried
- The 22 Most Bizarre Names For Wall Paints
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession