How I Survive Life in the Spotlight
Caroline Manzo puts the real in The Real Housewives of New Jersey, and her fans relate to the reality star's no-nonsense attitude, focus on family and, above all, abundant common sense. Check back at Glo every Monday, as when Caroline helps solve your most pressing dilemmas.
Given that the next season of (acronym alert) TRHONJ is starting on May 16, we asked Caroline to share the top ten lessons she's learned from being on the show—relationships, living life in the public eye and more. Here's an inside look at how she balances it all and still handles her fame with grace.
The Top Ten Things I've Learned (Oh brother… OK, here we go!):
1. You have to have an incredibly thick skin and know who you are as an individual; people can be very cruel.
2. True friends are those who understand you when your life is completely turned upside down, and who are ready with a hot cup of coffee whenever you need them to be.
3. Looking at yourself from the outside in is one of the biggest life lessons on the planet. We should all be fortunate enough have the opportunity to see ourselves as others do.
4. Expect the unexpected, and ride the wave when you have to.
5. The biggest celebrities walk, talk, eat and breathe. In other words, they're normal people just like you and me.
6. Being in the public eye is a huge responsibility. You are watched and judged on every word you say and every move you make.
7. I can start a whole new career at nearly 50 years old in a field that I would have never dreamed of or imagined!
8. It's OK to be me. I can't expect everyone to love me or even like me. I am what I am, and I'm fine with it—muffin top, wrinkles and all.
9. Sometimes taking a leap of faith can turn into the greatest adventure of a lifetime. To share it with my family is an extra bonus. I'm blessed, and I thank God every single day.
10. The world is full of wonderful people who share the same hopes, dreams and fears as I do. It's been my honor and pleasure to share my life with you.
Thanks to each and every one of you who has ever written to me via Facebook, Twitter, snail mail, email and whatever else there is these days. I want you to know that I read every single post, but it's nearly impossible to answer them all. In order to do that, I'd have to hire someone to speak as me, and I believe you deserve more than that. If you take the time to write to me, then you deserve an answer from me, no one else. So please understand that although I may not answer a post, I have certainly read it. I also want to acknowledge the fact that I understand that the success of this show is due to each and every one of you, and for that, I will forever grateful. Thank you, thank you, thank you.
From marriage dilemmas to family issues, Caroline's got the answers!Photo by Michael T. Greco
- 10 ways to wear fashion's most addictive trend
- Yoga Poses for Every Sign
- Throw a 1920s themed party this holiday season
- The Ultimate Modern-Day Dining Guide
- How to have a work "husband"
- Totally Inappropriate Vintage Holiday Cards
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession