9 unconventional date night ideas
- Next1 of 10Reggie Casagrande/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 10Cultura/Julian Love/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 10Steven Puetzer/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 10Frank Rothe/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 10Johannes Mink/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 10Cultura/Philip Lee Harvey/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 10Photodisc/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 10Jelle Druyts via Flickr
- Previous Next9 of 10Fabrice LEROUGE/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 10Tuan Tran/Getty Images
- 9 unconventional date night ideasThe most timeless relationship wisdom ever
- Outrageous wedding cakes, favors, venues & more
- The new p's and q's of playing hostess
- 17 worst things to say in a wedding speech
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best childhood memories from before the Internet
- The best advice your kids can give you
- Which '80s family is most like your own?
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
Date Night Redux1 of 10
By Naomi Jaul
Don't get us wrong: Dinner and a movie is a nice way to spend an evening with your other half. But sometimes, "nice" isn't really what you need. Sometimes, you need exciting, adventurous, nostalgic, romantic… you get the idea. Here are nine unexpected date night ideas that can help reinvigorate your relationship.
Rise & Shine2 of 10
A picnic at sunset sets off our cliché radar, but an early morning picnic at sunrise—that's something we can get involved in. Break up the routine by setting the alarm early, packing some breakfast treats and venturing out during the true quiet of the pre-dawn hours.
Well Spent3 of 10
Even the calmest of couples has a competitive streak, but instead of letting it flare up in an unhealthy way, use it to strengthen your relationship with a gift-off at the local flea market. Agree to spend $20 on each other, and set some criteria: The items must all start with the letter M, for example, and you have 30 minutes to make your purchase. Now that the rules are in place, shop away.
First Date-iversary4 of 10
Recreate your very first outing together, down to the last detail: Wear the same blouse (if you still have it), arrive separately, sit at the same table, order the same drink. We promise you'll get those same butterflies you had the first time around.
Play Date5 of 10
Embrace your inner child with a day of flying kites and climbing trees. Research shows that watching or doing something nostalgic evokes intensely positive emotions, not a bad thing to have when you're spending quality time with your guy.
Rev Your Engines6 of 10
Wish your life was as thrilling as a James Bond movie? Get a taste of the 007 lifestyle by planning an undercover operation. Enlist your sidekick and dress to the nines. Once you look the part, head to the most expensive auto dealership you can find to test-drive the most souped-up rides you can find. Vroom, vroom.
Game On7 of 10
Hit up the local bingo hall for a night a old-fashioned, kitsch-y fun. Agree ahead of time on a fun way to spend any winnings—it'll make hearing that final B-10 that much more exciting.
Fear & Loving8 of 10
Give your relationship a healthy hit of adrenaline with a heart-pounding haunted house tour. Head to hauntedhouse.com to find the spooky set-up nearest you and be prepared to want to jump into your love's arms for comfort—or, you know, vice versa.
Destination Unknown9 of 10
Pack a bag and head to the airport, because you're leaving town—for the weekend, at least. Sure, you could plan a mini-break, but it'll be much more exciting to show up at the airport and pick the cheapest—and soonest—available flight that day. Jet off and spend the weekend exploring whatever city you end up in.
Hide & Seek10 of 10
Swap the battered map for a GPS signal with Geocaching, a treasure hunt for the 21st century. You can create your own adventure for your guy, or download the Geocache app and embark on a mission together.
- How to Be Funny: 9 Essential Tips
- 9 Mistakes That Are Aging Your Hair
- New shopping service makes office-wear effortless
- How To Dress Like Your Favorite Cartoon
- 15 Most Unforgettable Celebrity Brows
- 9 Ways Your House Can Help You Stay Fit
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession