12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- Next1 of 13Geber86/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 13Meng Yiren/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 13vgajic/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 13rez-art/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 13White Packert/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 13John Sommer/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 13kristian sekulic/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 13Geber86/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 13gpointstudio/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 13Simone Becchetti/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 13Lukasz Laska/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 13Justin Case/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 13Ian Sanderson/Getty Images
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now5 Zodiac Signs That Party Hard
- Find out why some signs will never be BFFs
- Hollywood Hunks of Every Sign
- Yoga Poses for Every Sign
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- What Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
Rewriting the Rules1 of 13
The right guy will think you're awesome whether you're eating a dainty salad or not. Here, Cosmopolitan reveals 12 dated dating rules you can break.
Sleep on It2 of 13
Don't sleep with him until the _____ date. Like many of these “rules,” if he’s the kind of guy who’s looking for a girl who follows them, he’s the wrong guy. Whether you have sex in the first five minutes or the first five months, he should respect you just the same, because when a woman wants to have sex and has sex, that doesn't make her slutty.
Ask Away3 of 13
Don’t ask a guy out. Just let all the guys you don’t want to go out with ask you out, while you stare wistfully into your glass of wine wishing you could be having dinner with someone you actually like. Yup, that’s a great rule that wastes nobody’s time. DUDE. Ask a guy out if you want.
RELATED ON COSMOPOLITAN: 15 Things Nobody Tells You About Relationships
Sealed With a Kiss4 of 13
Don’t make out on the first date. If you want to hook up with the dude at the end of a date, that is great news, because it went well enough that you don’t want to run home and drink Drano. Go forth and make out wherever you want. Your apartment? The street? A bar? It’s a completely appropriate way to end a great date.
Check, Please5 of 13
Expect him to pay. You and I both know dinners add up after awhile. He’s not being a jerk if he lets you chip in on the third or fourth date, and you should absolutely offer.
RELATED ON COSMOPOLITAN: 5 First Date Outfits and What They Say About You
Food for Thought6 of 13
Eat a ~*~*~dAinTy sALaD~*~* on your first few dates. If you want dainty salad, that’s one thing. If you’re doing it to show him that you are a beautiful wood nymph with no esophageal capacity who he can blow away on a gust of wind, forget it.
RELATED ON COSMOPOLITAN: 9 Signs He’s Flirting With You and Not Just Being Nice
Wait for It7 of 13
If you don’t feel attraction at first, stick around and see if it grows. You don't have to settle for the first okayish guy, just because he has a good job and isn’t a complete a--hole.
A Simple Plan8 of 13
Turn down any plans he tries to make less than three days in advance. Nothing says “healthy groundwork for a relationship” like lying, #amirightladies? #imwrongladies. If he asks you out, and you have no plans, and you would like to go out with him at that time, do it.
RELATED ON COSMOPOLITAN: 15 Signs He’s a Keeper
Keep It Real9 of 13
Pretend you don’t care about him. Just be a real person.
RELATED ON COSMOPOLITAN: 10 Things Guys Don’t Want You To Know
Just Chilling10 of 13
Pretend you’re super-chill and low-key if you’re not. Because the whole “I’m not like other girls, I’m a cool girl” act is all Just Great until you give yourself an ulcer from pretending to be so laid-back.
Heavy Lifting11 of 13
Don’t talk about “heavy stuff” early on. Otherwise known as the best way to accidentally have a four-month relationship with someone who is a doomsday prepper with a really nice smile.
RELATED ON COSMOPOLITAN: 18 Signs You’re With the Man You Should Marry
Hot Topic12 of 13
Feel obligated to break it off if it’s really hot and fun but doesn’t seem to be going anywhere. Hot, fun going-nowhere things are perfect fillers between relationships! Besides the fact that you don't need to be in a relationship in the first place. Especially when you're having sex with that hot, slightly younger guy who you have nothing in common with! I'd high-five you if I wasn't a tiny woman who lives inside your computer.
Dress Code13 of 13
Don't wear something too short or revealing on the first date. Or what? He'll see that you have breasts and legs? I'm not saying to break this rule because he wants to see them — I'm saying to break it because you can wear something as revealing or non-revealing as you want, as long as you're observing your state's public nudity laws. I'm serious.