De-Stress Test: Which Methods Really Work
10 stay-calm strategies for harried people
10. Chew Gum
Why It's Supposed to Work: Popping in a piece loosens the jaw, which holds a lot of tension. This de-stressor is especially effective for teeth grinders, Dr. Goldberg points out. Gum chewing is also connected to higher alertness levels, adds Dr. Arvon.
Real Result: Rockwell doesn't enjoy chewing gum, so she found chomping increased tension. An alternative from Ehrman: Make "exaggerated funny faces," such as scrunching up your face, raising your eyebrows high and smiling big. In addition to releasing rigidity from your jaw, you'll zap stress from the rest of your face.
- 10 Creative Braids You Have to See to Believe
- Fitness Clothes You Can Wear Outside the Gym
- Christian Louboutin for your nails
- How to Clean Your House in 10 Minutes
- 10 Things You Can Never Change About a Man
- 10 Tricks For Faking Bigger Eyes
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession