How to Divorce-Proof Your Marriage in 2014
- Next1 of 13Tom Merton/Getty Images
- Previous Next2 of 13Tom Merton/Getty Images
- Previous Next3 of 13Tom Merton/Getty Images
- Previous Next4 of 13Tim Robberts/Getty Images
- Previous Next5 of 13Tomas Rodriguez/Getty Images
- Previous Next6 of 13skynesher/Getty Images
- Previous Next7 of 13Image Source/Getty Images
- Previous Next8 of 13AMV Photo/Getty Images
- Previous Next9 of 13Alexander Nicholson/Getty Images
- Previous Next10 of 13Mariusz Sikorski/Getty Images
- Previous Next11 of 13Cavan Images/Getty Images
- Previous Next12 of 13David Lees/Getty Images
- Previous Next13 of 13Rekha Garton/Getty Images
- How to Divorce-Proof Your Marriage in 2014What Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
Happily Ever After1 of 13
By Sara Tan
January may have a reputation for being divorce month, but we're hoping to change that. With the help of relationship coach and Ready for Love star Matthew Hussey, we've created a simple guide for divorce-proofing your marriage in the new year, one month at a time.
January2 of 13
The Fresh Start Month: Use this first month of 2014 to wipe the slate clean and be open and honest about your needs, about the little (and big) things you'd like your partner to do. And if you're unsure about whether you are meeting their needs, then ask. You may both find out some things that are tough to hear, but the truths that emerge help you move forward.
February3 of 13
The Steamy Month: As winter drags on, make the most of February (and generate some of your own heat) by going to an upscale sex shop with your partner. If you've never done it, make it a surprise, suggests Hussey. Both of you should pick one present for the bedroom. You'll be so excited when you get home that any cabin fever you might have had will be instantly cured.
March4 of 13
The Affection Month: Not to be confused with The Bedroom Month, this month is all about showing your partner how much you love them holding hands, cuddling, hugging. Any kind of touch is powerful, both emotionally and physically. Make it a mission to do one act of affection a day that you normally wouldn't, like a 10 minute massage if your partner happened to have had a hard day at work.
April5 of 13
The Getaway Month: We don't always have the time for a full-blown vacation, but with one weekend you can break the monotony of six months of routine, says Hussey. Take advantage of the (hopefully) warmer weather that comes with spring and go somewhere you've never been—even if it's only an hour or two from home.
May6 of 13
The Friends & Family Month: Take the opportunity this month to bond more with the people your partner cares about, and to cultivate your couple friendships. Interacting with new people can give you both a fresh perspective on each other.
RELATED ON GLO: How Couple Friends Can Save Your Marriage
June7 of 13
The Learning Month: It's time for you to take on a new project together. It could be visiting more museums and learning about 19th century art, or doing a book club for two. There's nothing quite like the feeling that you and your partner are growing and discovering new worlds together, and that's what this month is all about.
July8 of 13
The Cooking Month: Not only is there something primal about food, but the act of preparing meals together can be an experience that fosters teamwork and bonding. Enjoy the fresh produce that's available during the summer to create dishes that are as yummy as they are healthy.
August9 of 13
The Bonding Month: This month is all about spending time bonding with your partner. You don't have to do anything too deep and meaningful, or anything that requires too much effort; just make it a ritual to spend an hour a night with them doing something you can both do together. It can be as simple as picking a TV series you both want to watch together. With the Fall TV season starting in August, there should be plenty of premieres to choose from.
September10 of 13
The Apology Month: Apologies go a long, long way in a relationship. So this month, you're going to get really good at it. If you feel like you screwed up, don't sit back and wait for it to blow over without ever having said a word. Apologize whole-heartedly. Tell your partner you love them more than anything and make them feel completely safe—and then move on.
October11 of 13
The Thoughtful Month: Yes, every month of the year should be thoughtful, but this month devote a little extra to going out of your way for your partner. Surprise them with a sweet, just-because-I-love-you text or pick up their favorite dessert on the way home from work. Make them feel special, and they'll want to do special things for you.
November12 of 13
The Appreciation Month: Too often we put our partners down for what they do wrong each day, but never stop and appreciate them for what they do right. This month is about focusing on all of the qualities that you value in your partner. Recognize all of the little things they do, appreciate their quirks, and celebrate your differences.
December13 of 13
The Supportive Month: The holidays can be stressful, so make sure that you have each other's back throughout December. Balance family-and-friends time with your own quality couple-time to ensure you finish the year strong.
- 30 Books Every Woman Should Read by 30
- Hey, Stud! 8 Statement Earrings
- Doh! The MAC x The Simpsons collection is finally
- Bizarre beauty secrets from backstage
- 9 Must-Have Laundry Room Upgrades
- Signs You're a Social Media Narcissist
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession