Got 15 Minutes?
That's All It Takes for a Happy MarriageBy Dustin Riechmann for YourTango
With work, family, extracurricular activities, exercise, kids, cooking, household chores and all of the other tasks we have to complete each day, it seems like there's no time for anything else. Well, you must make time for just one more thing. Fortunately, just 15 minutes a day will do the trick. That's only one percent of the time you have available each day, so I know it's realistic. Here's how to do it in five quick steps:
1. Find just 15 minutes to sit without distractions and talk to your spouse about your day, your thoughts, your dreams and whatever else you feel like sharing, as long as you are engaged in an intimate conversation.
2. Be sure that your conversation doesn't revolve around things that need to be done around the house, the kids' school activities or any other "responsible" meeting topics. This time is for you to talk without distractions about your individual thoughts and your desires as a couple.
3. Finding this time in your busy schedule might mean waking up 15 minutes earlier and talking before you get out of bed, or turning off the TV 15 minutes early in the evening. Just make that time to connect each day, and you will reap major dividends in your marriage.
4. While it is great to get away from the house and all of the "to-do's" a date night sometimes represents, you don't necessarily even have to go out. Your date night can be as simple as cooking dinner together and sharing a bottle of wine, or just watching a movie together after the kids go to bed.
5. The important thing is that you are engaged in your relationship and focused on appreciating each other as a couple above all else for just a little while.
Just fifteen minutes a day is all it takes to make you and your guy feel closer.Jeremy Maude/Thinkstock