Happiness secrets from "Super Agers"
- Next1 of 19Glo
- Previous Next2 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next3 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next4 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next5 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next6 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next7 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next8 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next9 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next10 of 19Then: courtesy of subject; Now: Adam Sheridan-Taylor
- Previous Next11 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next12 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next13 of 19Then: Shervena (left) & Rebena (right); Now: Rebena (left) & Shervena (right)
- Previous Next14 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next15 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next16 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next17 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next18 of 19Courtesy of subject
- Previous Next19 of 19Then: courtesy of subject; Now: AF Village West
- Happiness secrets from "Super Agers"What Your PDA-Style Says About Your Relationship
- 10 Things Guys Think When They First Meet You
- 12 Dating Rules to Break Now
- 9 Things Men Should Never Say to a Woman
- What to Watch, Read & Shop in June
- 8 Things Men Learn in the First Month of Marriage
- 9 Conversations To Have Before Marriage
- 10 Things Men & Women Will Always Disagree On
- Fights Grown Women Have With Their Moms
- Best Movie Quotes for Getting Over a Breakup
- 10 Best Beach Reads for June 2014
- Life Lessons Dads Can Teach Their Daughters
- 11 Reasons to Consider Dating a Divorced Man
- 8 Things That Make Guys Feel Insecure
- 8 Proven Tips for Moving On After a Breakup
- 8 Proven Tricks to Strengthen Your Marriage
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 8 Life Lessons From "Sixteen Candles"
- How to Overcome a Creative Block
INTRO_Super_Agers_21 of 19
Create New Memories2 of 19
"The key to happiness in my life has been cherishing the time I spend with family and friends—always laughing, telling stories and creating new memories."
Be a Little "Crazy"3 of 19
"I recommend prayer, a nice glass of wine or margarita and a whole lot of laughter. Love with your whole heart and nothing less. Be giddy, smile all the time and be a little 'crazy.' Also, apply Jergens All Purpose Face Cream and put curlers in your hair every night."
Don't Dwell4 of 19
"When chatting with other folks, don't complain about all your physical ailments. Stay active with yoga, swimming, walking and never stop learning new skills. Do not brood and dwell on the past … a little praying sometimes will help!"
Enjoy Yourself5 of 19
"The one sustaining constant in my life has been my faith in God. I was married to the love of my life for 58 wonderful years and have the most loving family. I email, text and have a Facebook page so I can connect with my grandchildren. I keep active and eat healthy foods, but enjoy a sweet treat every day. At 86, I'm finally going to learn to swim and cross it off my bucket list. I want to be around for a long time so I don't miss anything!"
Have Good Friends6 of 19
"The best way to be happy in life is to have good friends who you can depend on. I wouldn't have gotten through the hard times in my life without their love and support. A good husband is the frosting on the cake."
Keep It Simple7 of 19
"I've always lived a simple life and depended on God; everything I have asked Him for, he has provided. At my age, my family is my connection to life itself. Whenever my mind wanders I'll call my children and grandchildren to see how they are doing. That puts everything into perspective for me."
Fight for Your Happiness8 of 19
"Life can deal you impossibly hard blows but you can't accept defeat. I've lost three husbands and a daughter but I never sank into that misery. I lived for the things I still had. You must fight for your happiness and learn to make the absolute best of the absolute worst."
Have Faith9 of 19
"What really helps me remain serene is faith that all will be well in the end. No matter what intervenes, this attitude of acceptance keeps me afloat. I began competing in triathlons and Ironman's 34 years ago as a way to calm my mind, body, and spirit. I've won eight Ironman age group records since."
Stay Connected10 of 19
"To have happiness you must also have sadness; in order to know black you have to know white. If I have my physical, mental and spiritual health then I have an amazing life. I dance, practice yoga and compose music and that's how I stay connected to the universe."
Always Laugh11 of 19
"Be positive. Make life happen. Reach out to people. Try to always laugh, especially be able to laugh at yourself."
Get Up & Exercise12 of 19
"I thank God everyday for allowing me to live as long as I have. I don't eat bad food. I don't keep late hours. I get up and exercise everyday. And I never drank or smoked in my life."
Keep Growing13 of 19
"Always have a good positive attitude. Love and be loved. Have a good spiritual life. Do things you enjoy doing. Never give up, just keep on keeping on." —Shervena
"For me it is about having a belief in God, my spiritual side. I believe in my self worth. Good close friends through the years have helped me grow as a person, too." —Rebena
Have Family Around14 of 19
"One of the keys is having a wonderful family … having children and grandchildren around you on holidays and other meaningful occasions. Happiness, for me, was also 62 wonderful years with a husband who was happy and made me happy."
Make It Fantastic15 of 19
"Travel too much and become friends with perfect strangers. Help those in need regardless if you can actually afford to. Invest in your bath time; take a nice relaxing [soak] everyday. Finally, I live by my favorite quote: "What we are is God's gift to us, what we become is our gift to God.' Make it fantastic!"
Try, Try Again16 of 19
"Start with a good attitude, stay involved with friends, be aware of changing current events, exercise regularly, eat healthy, have adequate sleep, help others, and above all think positively. I also believe in continuously setting sensible goals, striving to reach them, and if the attempt fails, try again."
Keep Busy17 of 19
"I don't really have any secrets but I feel blessed with so many friends. I also exercise and keep busy. I thank God every day for my family, my friends and my health. I am really blessed."
Give Back18 of 19
"It is important to use the gifts God gave you to give back to others. You will find there is great joy in giving and the fulfillment you receive is immeasurable. Take care of your mind, body and soul ... and always be open to change and learning new things."
Embrace Optimism19 of 19
"The key to staying happy and healthy to me is to maintain an optimistic and non-critical attitude with a physically and mentally active lifestyle."
- Best "Non-Required" Reading for Moms
- 11 Clever Decor Ideas For Small Patios
- The oversized trend that's making a comeback
- Beauty Tips From A Supermodel-Turned-Actress
- 9 Worst Packing Mistakes You're Making
- 9 Must-Read Tips for a Healthy Divorce
- Gotta Have It: Glo's Latest Obsession